Seeking Bow Recommendations

WyoDoug

I have been hunting with a Bowtech Soldier and had good luck with it. I also want to find a good portable bow vise that I can use to set my own draw weight and fix the peep sight and that. I kind of jerry rigged something in the field with a small come along when I lost my peep sight hunting and had to replace it in the field. So looking at something I can keep at camp to fix my bow if need be. What do you all use for bows and vise setups? My bow has earned it's keep, but time to upgrade I think.

I have a Mathews halon 32, I love it. It’s a tall bow and a little heavy, but I hunt in a tree stand where I live so it’s not an issue for me. If you do a lot of hiking with it and have a shorter draw length I’d suggest trying a triax, much more compact. Otherwise the vertix is a good all around bow. Yes I’m a Mathews fan lol

I have a Mathews halon 32, I love it. It’s a tall bow and a little heavy, but I hunt in a tree stand where I live so it’s not an issue for me. If you do a lot of hiking with it and have a shorter draw length I’d suggest trying a triax, much more compact. Otherwise the vertix is a good all around bow. Yes I’m a Mathews fan lol
Me too, I have a Halon X that I love. Mathews are great shooting bows. I don't think you could go wrong with them.

Never hunted on horseback but they do fine backpacking. My bow is a long axle to axle but for the the ease of shooting is worth the trade off for size. I have been up and down mountains in NM with mine and think the world of it.

That said, my expectation is that unless someone has had a bad experience in a hunting situation with a given brand of bow, you'll find glowing recommendations for brand of choice. I've shot Hoyts, PSEs, and Mathews and I like the draw cycle and back wall of the Halon better than any other bow Ive shot with the exception of the Vertix. I just am not yet ready to upgrade or Id be shooting one of those.

Shoot many bows from different companies see what feels right for you their are a lot of great bows out their some expensive and some not

Never hunted on horseback but they do fine backpacking. My bow is a long axle to axle but for the the ease of shooting is worth the trade off for size. I have been up and down mountains in NM with mine and think the world of it.

That said, my expectation is that unless someone has had a bad experience in a hunting situation with a given brand of bow, you'll find glowing recommendations for brand of choice. I've shot Hoyts, PSEs, and Mathews and I like the draw cycle and back wall of the Halon better than any other bow Ive shot with the exception of the Vertix. I just am not yet ready to upgrade or Id be shooting one of those.

Seeks to work great for you. Is the pull weight consistent all the way through to full draw? I noticed mine increases as I get closer to full draw.

I would say my X hits the weight fairly early in the cycle which makes it smoother feeling by the time you get to the rollover on the cams. You should go shoot a few at a decent pro shop (meaning not cab. Its amazing what the last 10 years has changed in compound bows. Smooth, quiet, dead in the hand, and fast are all commonplace in new bows and represent remarkable improvements over even top of the line 10 year old bows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back