Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Seeking advice on things to do in Missoula vicinity

Mountain Man

Hi gang,

I have the grand fortune of having a father in law who lives in Potomac (near Missoula), Montana. We have a family trip to visit Grandpa coming up in a few weeks. We have three year old twins so are somewhat limited on mobility, but I am excited to try and explore the outdoor opportunities in the vicinity within a few hours drive. Can anyone offer some tips of things to do and see (particularly fishing advice)? Not looking for any honey holes, just some general advice on some rivers or lakes to take the kids fishing with their grandpa. I don’t get a good stretch of leave like this very often so want to try and make the most of it. Any activity advice will be very much appreciated.

for the kids: Dragons hollow in Missoula, splash pads for cooling off, always check the event calendar as there seems to be some festival every week in summer.
For you: lots of great breweries and restaurants such as Tamarack, Conflux, Kettlehouse, ImagineNation, Highlander, Scotty’s table (more upscale), Mustard Seed, TopHat (every Friday night is a family night with lots of love music for toddlers)
For fishing: I really like the king fisher fly shop in Missoula and have had good luck with their advice. I may be going down next week to see my in-laws, and if I do get some fishing opportunity I’ll let you know what I hear.

Enjoy

PM me for fishing.

RMEF HQ, Boone and Crockett HQ, Garnet Ghost Town, Philipsburg as a town is cool, plenty of good hikes.

Get everyone loaded up early one morning and take a drive up Highway 93 from Missoula and take the long drive through the Bison Range. It will take you about 2 hours or a bit longer if you do one or two of the short hikes up on top. Bring a lunch and stop at the picnic area on the way out for lunch.

Go up over the mountain and drop down to Garnett Ghost town between Potomac and I-90. Pretty neat place to poke around. They usually have a cart set up to sell shakes and burgers.

Pretty drive up towards Seeley Lake with the Bob Marshall Wilderness to your east with beautiful mountains. Drive on north and stop at a couple of the lakes for the kids to play in.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I appreciate your help. We are definitely going to incorporate your advice! I’m starting to get really excited for the trip!!

Nap's in Hamilton. Come hungry. For a good fishing hike, Bear Creek or Big Creek. Kootenai is nice but crowded. Really though, get a burger. mtmuiey

Whatever you do don't go to Seeley lake . Nothing to do here .nothing to see . Blink and it's gone. Stay far far away . J/k. Stop in we will show you the ropes.

I can tell from your name that you definitely despise Seeley Lake! We didn’t end up getting a chance to fish it. Spent a morning shore fishing at Salmon Lake with no luck. Seems like a Good lake for fishing from a boat.

My family and I had a great visit thanks in large part to the advice of those on this post. Thanks again!

Back