See what we used in the 50's for scopes

Durango Mike

Will be down for a few weeks with a new knee so started cleaning up workshop and found a stash of old scopes, I think the Balvar was the height of technology somewhere around 1955, a variable power scope with fixed fine cross hairs and a micrometer adjustment base. The others are a Frecker and two lymans, I think all of these came off low wall 1885 IMG_0129.JPGwildcats, had to be careful in the rain as they would occasionally fog. The Lyman was on a 218 bee improved, I can't remember the rifle that came with the BalVar, I think a 25 Neidner. Anyone other than @shrapnel seen any of these?

Nice.I have some Weavers. Probly 60's vintage. Nothing like that. Thanks for showing us. mtmuley

I've got a Lyman Alaskan with the Lee dot reticle mounted with a Griffin Howe mount on a 1948 Winchester M70.

Don’t know the age, but dad had a couple of these B&L scopes that he had taken off of firearms. . Kinda cool to look at compared to modern stuffView attachment 171414

A Bosch and Lomb. Saw one brand new in a sporting goods store in Kalispell, Montana about 1972. Then a few years ago did some reloads for a guy here that had one. Problem was the base's were messed up on his and finding new base's was the pits. The scope depend's on adjustable base's to adjust! Fine cross hairs in it and really forgot how much I liked them. Probably the clearest scope I ever looked through. Finally found a new set of base's and adjusting the scope with them was the pit's also, mostly because I wasn't used to them!

My favorite scope's are two old Denver Redfield's I got new in the eary 1970's. One is a 1-4x I have on a 308. The other, my favorite for a lot of year's, is a 2 3/4x 4 plex CCH. Both have the old pressure adjustment's, no clicks. But I can live with them. That 2 3/4x is my favorite all time scope. Have it on a 30-06 I used to use elk hunting. Never left me wanting!

I've got 2-3 El Paso weaver's and a WWI era Gerard (German) that probably should go to a restorer and get ready for use. Very cool stuff, Mike!

I have an old Weaver Qwik Point - Early 70's if I'm not mistaken. Scope is a 4X Unertl Hawk from mid to late 50's IIRC. Its still remarkably clear and when removed from the rifle it was on, still held zero.

Attachments

• quik point.jpg
    quik point.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    818.2 KB · Views: 1
I've got 2-3 El Paso weaver's and a WWI era Gerard (German) that probably should go to a restorer and get ready for use. Very cool stuff, Mike!

I've got one old El Paso Weaver, K4. Got it on my 22 mag. Really like it. Have, I think, an old Weaver laying around the shop somewhere. Has those small adjustment knobs on it. Really rusted up when I found it and ended up sanding the rust off. Scope doesn't work anymore but figured I'd try to clean it up. Gave up after I got most the rust off. Was gonna cold blue it but never got around to it. My K4 is a nice scope and clear. I remember a gun writter wrote about the Weaver's years ago that they must have awful clear air in El Paso. Seem's the one's he looked through were all a bit foggy!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back