Season re-cap (pic heavy)

Big Sky

Started off the season killing this antelope.
AntelopeTroyIII2007_338701.jpg

Then my complete focus went to helping my 3rd oldest boy kill his first deer. While not a great buck wall hanger, this little doe provided the perfect ice breaker. Besides she made things easier for when the heat turned way up later in the season...
CaydenFirstDeerII.jpg

Let's just say when this buck stepped out the heat turned way up for my son and the pressure was on him to make the shot. We laid on the mountain top for over an hour and a half waiting for the perfect shot. When the opportunity finally presented it's self, my son did me proud. Perfect shot placement and a darn nice first buck.
CaydenFirstDeerIII.jpg

Finally it was my turn. After passing up over 70 bucks, logging countless miles on foot, hiking all over creation, missing two other bigger bucks, I finally punched my tag and "killed whitey" over the weekend. While no wall hanger, he is "good enough" and I'm happy to be done. Hope everyone has a great season.
WhitetailTroy2.jpg

Congrats to you and your son. I know being there with your son when he connected with both his first deer and first buck was the ultimate high for you.

I'm sure I say this every year, but your so lucky to live where you do. Love that area!! Congrats to you and your son. How did the rest of the kids do this year??

Muleslyr, the oldest boy is a senior in highschool and too involved with academics this year to hunt. He's at the top of his class and has colleges all over the nation trying to recruit him. He must get his "smarts" from his mother. The second oldest boy does not care for hunting. He's not against it, but has no interest. His life revolves around football and he is very good at it. I support him just as much as if he loved to hunt. I do have a daughter coming up that will be old enough to hunt big game in less than a year and a half. When that happens the wildlife in Montana had better watch out. She loves to hunt, is a very good shot, and has a serious killer instinct, cute as can be as well. I expect she will out hunt and out shoot her brother's and even me before too long. :)

Congrats on a great season..
Hunting with with your kids is great
My boy will be hunting big game in two years, and is ready to do it now.

Awesome year! Although you made me feel bad as I have a whitetail that looks identical to yours and it's hanging on my wall.:D :D Congrats!

ashersdad, let me clarify not a wallhanger, by local or personal standards. If I had killed this buck in let's say Florida it would have went straight to the taxidermist. It's all relative. :)

Big Sky, I understand. Here is a pic of my whitetail. It was my biggest (still is) so that's why it's on the wall. Congrats again on a great year.:)

Whitetail3.jpg

ashersdad, not a darn thing wrong with that buck. Plus you got a bonus double white throat patch. I read somewhere that less than 1 in 2000 whitetail bucks have that. I've never killed a whitetail buck with a double white throat patch, though I'd sure like to.

Thanks Big Sky. I do like the throat patch. I am leaving for Kansas in a couple days and hope to get a buck bigger than this one. Although, if I see a nice muley, I may get an itchy trigger finger. Have a great Thanksgiving.

You had a good year. It's great to teach your kids about hunting and be there when "the plan comes together". Good for you and all of them.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back