PEAX Equipment

SE WY Map for Antelope hunt

Muskeez

My daughter and I drew tags for a SE WY rifle antelope hunt. I will be ordering the map chip from the hunting gps promo mentioned in another thread to use in my Garmin 450t. But, I'm kind of old school and when I'm in the truck or at the camper I feel more comfortable with a paper map in hand. Can anyone recommend a paper map that would show the most remote roads? Of course if it showed private vs. public lands that would help also, but I will have that on my GPS /Chip. Thanks to everyone that has given advise on other parts of this hunt as well. We are super excited and are planning to hunt Oct. 5-8, hoping that the mad rush will be over since season starts Sept. 25. Am I correct on that?

Thanks for adding the info Matt. I didn't know you guys had similar...good to know.

My daughter and I drew tags for a SE WY rifle antelope hunt. I will be ordering the map chip from the hunting gps promo mentioned in another thread to use in my Garmin 450t. But, I'm kind of old school and when I'm in the truck or at the camper I feel more comfortable with a paper map in hand. Can anyone recommend a paper map that would show the most remote roads? Of course if it showed private vs. public lands that would help also, but I will have that on my GPS /Chip. Thanks to everyone that has given advise on other parts of this hunt as well. We are super excited and are planning to hunt Oct. 5-8, hoping that the mad rush will be over since season starts Sept. 25. Am I correct on that?

I called the BLM office and they sent me a couple of topo's, they are nice and I have a good collection of them from all over. . .kind of a trophy for all the areas I've hunted. Those paper maps in the link above look awesome too. I was out there last year the first week of October and only saw a few people . . .and they were just driving around. . .didnt see a single person in the field. I will be out there on Sept 29th for a week or. . .I will give you an update on what we are seeing. . .I think we are in the same area if I remember right.

What's the best of these, or is there a good option, for showing which BLM roads are open for public travel and what aren't?

in my very limited experience, most of the "roads" are marked pretty well out there. I did learn last year, that even if the road is closed, you can drive on it to retrieve downed game. . . .it would have been good info to have before we carted 2 out that were in a mile or so. . .oh well. Good luck. RJ

in my very limited experience, most of the "roads" are marked pretty well out there. I did learn last year, that even if the road is closed, you can drive on it to retrieve downed game. . . .it would have been good info to have before we carted 2 out that were in a mile or so. . .oh well. Good luck. RJ

***Please expound on that statement that you can drive on closed roads to retrieve game as I've never heard that one before!

Been years, but I always had a BLM map of area we were hunting! I can read and find section corner markers and interpret other markers. Good thing too.....landowner son threatened to have us arrested after two of us had downed Pronghorn and I said go ahead----see you in Fed Court.....after me producing map, he grinned and said, wanna hunt muley on our property for a min trespass fee.....we did! And he ended up being our "guide".....know where you are all the time in WYO and MONT or you could be in deep sheit!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back