Caribou Gear Tarp

SE MT Highway question

LukeDuke

Later on this summer we will be taking the kids on our annual summer trip to the home place in central MT. We will head across SD vs ND and do the whole Mt Rushmore/Deadwood experience since my wife and kids have never been to SD. I was thinking about cutting up on 212 from Alzada to Miles City and then up to Jordan before heading west, but I haven’t been that way since the late 90’s. Just curious what that road condition is like vs going over through Sheridan and up to Billings. I realize it’s a two lane vs interstate, but just didn’t know how beaten up it was. Only so many ways to get there, so looking to change up the scenery a bit. 👍

I25 speed limit is 80mph, those other hwys will be much slower speed wise, for what that's worth.

It's been 4 or 5 years but all the black top was fine imo, mt and WY do a good enough job of maintaining roads. Certainly better than my home state of Oklahoma

As long as you don’t go Alzada to Ekalaka you should be good. Have to warn you though that if your kids aren’t excited by antelope and windmills they are going to be bored as hell. Not a lot of scenery
Lol…they love seeing the antelope. They have been on Hwy 200 from Glendive to Lewistown every summer and fall since they were born, so this will feel like a new adventure for them. They are 9 and 6, so road trips are still filled with a bunch of random questions…which I love.

Hwy 212 actually cuts off about 30-40 miles and it’s just as fast as taking 90 up to Billings. You can go up Hwy 59 to Miles city then up to Jordan. Hwy 323 seems really rough and they have been doing some construction on it. There are a couple history points of interest along 59/212 worth stopping at.

We just drove on 212 yesterday from Belle Fourche to 90 by Crow agency and road was good the whole way. Saw an antelope giving birth 100 yds of the highway. And a few very fresh, barely standing antelope fawns.

Google maps claims it's 30+ mins faster going that way too.

They laid a lot of new asphalt that way last year. There is some incredible history for that part of the country, but not many markers to interpret it for you. Also, TR National Park is worth it, and make the trek to the Maltese Cross Cabin. Its the cradle of conservation.

Just cut across SD and up 212 a couple weeks ago. Road was great, saw plenty of antelope like everyone else mentioned, and hardly any cars. I hope y’all enjoy the black hills!

We travelled Alzada to Ekalaka week before last and counted hundreds of antelope, including some fawns. If you don't stop for at least a hike, if not a camp, at Medicine Rocks you will be missing out on some amazing scenery, history, and spiritual juju.

MR5.JPG

I drove Great Falls to Miles City and back a few weeks ago. Granted I was driving a 1 ton dually and pulling a camper, but I'm surprised I still have my teeth. About 20 miles between Winnett and Jordan and a good chunk from Jordan to Miles City are rough, especially if your wheelbase is the same as the length between expansion joints. I think it's a pretty drive though, especially this time of year when everything's green.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back