SD Nonresident Archery Deer Deadline 4/1

MNHunter

Heads up if you've hunted deer in South Dakota as a NR...they moved the deadline to get your archery tag to April 1st. After that you can get an archery tag but it'll be good on private land only

SD is declining right about the time Edwin and I have enough points to draw anything. Figures.

I'm still crabby as well. I was hoping to use SD archery deer as a backup if other tags don't come thru on certain years or I have spare time. I'm not going to give them that much $ in hopes of spending some time there. Warmer, your comment is exactly what SD will accomplish with these new rules. Less $ in income from tags and less $ spent in the state that has a huge amount of their economy riding at hunting/fishing/tourism. I hope it kicks them right square in the nuts!

SD is declining right about the time Edwin and I have enough points to draw anything. Figures.

How so? Two years of easy winters and lots of moisture makes for some nice deer from what I see.

SD is a great opportunity. What other state has a significant mule deer population with guaranteed tags at an affordable price? I know people are upset about the changes, but the land and the deer haven't changed.

I'm still crabby as well. I was hoping to use SD archery deer as a backup if other tags don't come thru on certain years or I have spare time. I'm not going to give them that much $ in hopes of spending some time there. Warmer, your comment is exactly what SD will accomplish with these new rules. Less $ in income from tags and less $ spent in the state that has a huge amount of their economy riding at hunting/fishing/tourism. I hope it kicks them right square in the nuts!
Let's face it- the deer hunters ain't really bringing in the big $$$, the pheasant hunters are.

How so? Two years of easy winters and lots of moisture makes for some nice deer from what I see.

SD is a great opportunity. What other state has a significant mule deer population with guaranteed tags at an affordable price? I know people are upset about the changes, but the land and the deer haven't changed.
Some opportunity is there but from people I have talked to first hand and read on plenty of forums most public is overrun and not exactly a trophy destination.

Archery is guaranteed but so are a lot of other states for archery. Add in the fact that to even apply for archery you need to put in before you draw any other states.

Not saying it's not a good opportunity, it's just not a priority state for many people and people liked going there for archery if they didn't draw elsewhere. Now the state forces you to choose.

Some opportunity is there but from people I have talked to first hand and read on plenty of forums most public is overrun and not exactly a trophy destination.

Archery is guaranteed but so are a lot of other states for archery. Add in the fact that to even apply for archery you need to put in before you draw any other states.

Not saying it's not a good opportunity, it's just not a priority state for many people and people liked going there for archery if they didn't draw elsewhere. Now the state forces you to choose.
That’s the reason for the change of date.

This first year will be interesting. As a resident it doesn't affect me much, except reduce pressure maybe. We'll see since my usual hunting spots are not touched by out of state hunters usually.

I think it's a fair plan that many other states implement, but April seems a little early to me. But maybe that was justification to keep it otc rather than move to a draw? Not sure, but it's still a guaranteed tag, can't really complain about that for a non resident

Not sure, but it's still a guaranteed tag, can't really complain about that for a non resident
At the end of the day absolutely, I am just disappointed there's one less "backup plan" on a year where I don't draw other states. (Including SD)

At the end of the day absolutely, I am just disappointed there's one less "backup plan" on a year where I don't draw other states. (Including SD)
Ya, Agree 100%. Makes planning out your fall more difficult now. To be safe you have a to buy a tag you may not need or use, another gamble in the fall now

So do you currently hunt SD archery?

As a relatively new archery hunter I'm very happy with the deer I have found on public land. Finding them turns out to be a whole lot easier than killing them, though. And never seen another archery hunter in the field. At least out west.

And what's a "trophy destination?" LOL.

And what's a "trophy destination?"

Anywhere but South Dakota.
SD has some trophies, but they are few and far between!

You don't get big in a state without trees and habitat by being stupid and walking around in the day Light....haha

In all reality other states have higher average scores on deer, but SD will still hold a big one or two

Dang. Idaho is off the table as an option. Really hope my SD tag arrives soon and that Wyoming allows for the draw.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back