Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

SD Non Res Archery Changes

blb078

Was going to put this in the SD state specific forum but doesn't seem to get many visits, move it if needed please. And since there are a few SD nr hunters here who may or may not have see the changes here are a few of them.

GFP Commission Creates Application Deadlines and Delayed Start for Nonresident Public Land Archers; Archery Access Permits for Custer National Forest
PIERRE, S.D. –The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission finalized rules that will delay the start of archery deer season for nonresidents hunting on public ground.

The 2019 archery season will begin on Oct. 1 for nonresidents hunting on public lands or private lands leased by the Department. The Sept.1 start date will remain unchanged for resident archers and nonresidents hunting on private lands.

The Commission also established an application deadline of Aug.1 for nonresident archery hunters to be eligible to hunt on public ground. Any nonresident archery deer application received after Aug. 1 will be for a license valid on private land, not including Walk-In Areas.

The Commission created 625 access permits (125 nonresident and 500 resident) for Archery Unit 35L, which encompasses the Custer National Forest area in Harding County. Archers wanting to hunt in this unit will have to apply for one of these free access permits after they have applied for their archery license. The deadline to apply for one of these access permits is Aug. 1.

Man, they are getting more and more restrictive for NRs.

Well when residents can’t draw some tags, I don’t blame them.

I'm sure there will turn into a big heated debate at some point but I don't see how changing the NR archery season dates will effect your R draw(rifle specifically I believe??) unless they change the number of allocations of the R draw or change the draw itself. I think resident's actually can get up to 3-4 tags if they play the strategy right, they just can't get all the premium tags they want which is the case in any state. I believe this had more to do with R feeling that NR had to much success or just seeing too many NR plates in Sept. It doesn't really effect me to much as I've always gone late season however this year I was planning on going in Sept and late season...was. What this will more than likely do is those that still plan on getting a tag will end up going before rifle season when the rut is kicking in and it will more than likely just increase the pressure then. I'm sure it will have some effect on revenue as not everyone reads up on reg changes and some wont know about this until it's too late, probably a marginal amount though.

Last edited:
Why? Because you have to apply?

I'm not 100% sure but the applying is not the issue as you always had to apply and where guaranteed a tag. The only thing now is you have to do it by Aug 1 instead of just at anytime. There is not mention of changing in tags allocations so it appears NR will still be guaranteed an archery tag they just have to get it by Aug 1. The season date changes is what most will be effected by.

I'm sure there will turn into a big heated debate at some point but I don't see how changing the NR archery season dates will effect your R draw(rifle specifically I believe??) unless they change the number of allocations of the R draw or change the draw itself. I think resident's actually can get up to 3-4 tags if they play the strategy right, they just can't get all the premium tags they want which is the case in any state. I believe this had more to do with R feeling that NR had to much success or just seeing too many NR plates in Sept. It doesn't really effect me to much as I've always gone late season however this year I was planning on going in Sept and late season...was. What this will more than likely do is those that still plan on getting a tag will end up going before rifle season when the rut is kicking in and it will more than likely just increase the pressure then. I'm sure it will have some effect on revenue as not everyone reads up on reg changes and some wont know about this until it's too late, probably a marginal amount though.

How are you going to just hunt rifle instead? You still have to apply.

Why not apply for an archery tag too?

How are you going to just hunt rifle instead? You still have to apply.

Why not apply for an archery tag too?
I never said anything about hunting just rifle, the rifle part is for R, this is all about NR archery tags, which is what I was referring to.

@tzone what are you so defensive for? You're a NR too. When I lived there, archery tags were basically OTC and I would have up to 4 deer tags each fall (BHD, WRD, ERD and archery). Now, as a NR, I'm lucky to draw a tag every third year!

In my first comment I merely meant cutting NRs out of the September hunt sucks because there's a lot of opportunity in that month.

@tzone what are you so defensive for? You're a NR too. When I lived there, archery tags were basically OTC and I would have up to 4 deer tags each fall (BHD, WRD, ERD and archery). Now, as a NR, I'm lucky to draw a tag every third year!

In my first comment I merely meant cutting NRs out of the September hunt sucks because there's a lot of opportunity in that month.
Yea to be clear they haven't cut NR archery tags(yet). They are still unlimited and you just have to "apply" by Aug 1. They just cut the season. Anyone who "applies" for a nr archery tag still gets one just like before. You just can't hunt in what many consider the prime archery month on public land

Yea to be clear they haven't cut NR archery tags(yet). They are still unlimited and you just have to "apply" by Aug 1. They just cut the season. Anyone who "applies" for a nr archery tag still gets one just like before. You just can't hunt in what many consider the prime archery month on public land
Yeah I got that, I was addressing tzone's claim that residents can't draw tags.
Well when residents can’t draw some tags, I don’t blame them.

Fairly minimal changes when you look at it overall... another thing to remember and use to keep it in perspective is that up until last year, even the resident archery season didn’t start until the last week or so in Sept. The NR archery tags are still uncapped with a small number of exceptions and it’s a fairly liberal season going from Oct through the end of December - including right through the rut.... Private land hunters are also not affected.... For now, I would consider it a win for NR’s.... There has been a lot of talk the last few years of going to a draw for NR archery tags like many other states along with trying to find other ways to reduce the pressure on the mule deer herd....

Fairly minimal changes when you look at it overall... another thing to remember and use to keep it in perspective is that up until last year, even the resident archery season didn’t start until the last week or so in Sept. The NR archery tags are still uncapped with a small number of exceptions and it’s a fairly liberal season going from Oct through the end of December - including right through the rut.... Private land hunters are also not affected.... For now, I would consider it a win for NR’s.... There has been a lot of talk the last few years of going to a draw for NR archery tags like many other states along with trying to find other ways to reduce the pressure on the mule deer herd....
Man, I swore I was in the treestand the first weekend in September. I could be wrong. Either way, I'm glad they're protecting the resource!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back