Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

SD Non Res Archery Changes

I should have been more clear, where did the April deadline info come from?

I saw that as well. One of the SD hunting groups on Facebook that were following this close posted all of these changes after last week’s meeting.

Personally, I think this has gone too far. Residents complained that NR took too many deer, which might be the case, but when there isn’t a mandatory registration and compliance is terribly low (believe I saw NR were better about it than R) i have trouble buying into the numbers.

I see one of two things happening- non residents will simply go somewhere else with their annual $286 (and paying for gas, hotels, restaurants etc) or October will be such a circus and residents will “lose” their rut hunts because of an exorbitant about of pressure on the public land leading into rifle season.

Man, I swore I was in the treestand the first weekend in September. I could be wrong. Either way, I'm glad they're protecting the resource!

Last year the archery deer season opened September 1 for both residents and nonresidents

Thank you to blb078 for letting us know! but,..:mad:(n) Personally my fall was based around SD this year, I was banking on spending Sept. in SD archery hunting on MY public lands. I decided to skip CO and WY this year, partially due to my sons wedding and partially so that I could just focus on one state, SD, this year. Telling NR that they can't hunt PUBLIC land for the first month is BS in my opinion. Much of that land is federal land and BLM. It doesn't seem right that they can do that on fed lands, (only let the states Residents hunt it), it's kind of similar in principal to the WY wilderness area policy.

Last edited:
Thank you to blb078 for letting us know! but,..:mad:(n) Personally my fall was based around SD this year, I was banking on spending Sept. in SD archery hunting on MY public lands. I decided to skip CO and WY this year, partially due to my sons wedding and partially so that I could just focus on one state, SD, this year. Telling NR that they can't hunt PUBLIC land for the first month is BS in my opinion. Much of that land is federal land and BLM. It doesn't seem right that they can do that on fed lands, (only let the states Residents hunt it), it's kind of similar in principal to the WY wilderness area policy.
I can’t hunt public land in IA in September without a draw either.

I enjoyed my hunts in SD bow hunts, however I never liked the oct start date. I got a few days in SD this past year after my elk hunt. I had planned on doing the same this sept as well. Scrap that idea.

@tzone what are you so defensive for? You're a NR too. When I lived there, archery tags were basically OTC and I would have up to 4 deer tags each fall (BHD, WRD, ERD and archery). Now, as a NR, I'm lucky to draw a tag every third year!

In my first comment I merely meant cutting NRs out of the September hunt sucks because there's a lot of opportunity in that month.

I’m more curious than defensive. But a lot of people got their undies in a wad about other states making rules they way they think work best for that state and it’s residents. Dang right it affects me but you know what I do? Roll with it.

To me it’s similar to people not liking where they live. Then moving to a different state and trying to make things in that stare the way it was they left. And I’m not saying you’re being like that... just making my point.

There is plenty of land to hunt September - January f you have the desire. Sure, it might take a little work and planning now. That’s part of the game imo. If I don’t draw a tag in SD this year, I’ll somewhere other than SD. I love to hunt. I don’t care what state I have to do it in.

But I’ll tell you what, if I was a resident and couldn’t draw tags NR did, I’d be pretty mad. So I’m not being defensive, I’m being understanding of the Residents point of view.

If you were a resident of SD and saw NR drawing 4 tags and you’re only drawing one...I understand the change.

The total deer harvest in SD in 2018 was estimated at just under 52,000. The NR archery harvest was estimated at 1646. This new rule will knock off what, 100 deer being taken? Maybe 200? 200 out of a harvest of 52,000?

Yeah, that will be impactful. 0.4%. Damn NR killing all the deer. I find it interesting that this causes such an uproar. Residents have home field advantage plus can get a bunch more tags but are worried a guy like me from 1500 miles away who never set foot in SD is going to come out blind to your home turf and ace you out of “your” buck? That’s hilarious.

Being born and raised in South Dakota I can honestly say that I’ve never heard anyone bitch about non resident hunter. As a matter of fact all the time I spent I very rarely ran in to any non residents. Do I think this is dumb? Yes, but if you can’t/ don’t want to hunt in October, hunt the first couple weeks of November, when everyone is pounding the hills with a rifle, or December, when everyone switches to letting coyotes hear every call on a fox pro. I don’t see them getting rid of the rifle rut hunts as much as I think that would be a benefit. The only thing I could see coming of this is having to draw the access pass for the Custer national forest instead of just printing one.

I’m more curious than defensive. But a lot of people got their undies in a wad about other states making rules they way they think work best for that state and it’s residents. Dang right it affects me but you know what I do? Roll with it.

To me it’s similar to people not liking where they live. Then moving to a different state and trying to make things in that stare the way it was they left. And I’m not saying you’re being like that... just making my point.

There is plenty of land to hunt September - January f you have the desire. Sure, it might take a little work and planning now. That’s part of the game imo. If I don’t draw a tag in SD this year, I’ll somewhere other than SD. I love to hunt. I don’t care what state I have to do it in.

But I’ll tell you what, if I was a resident and couldn’t draw tags NR did, I’d be pretty mad. So I’m not being defensive, I’m being understanding of the Residents point of view.

If you were a resident of SD and saw NR drawing 4 tags and you’re only drawing one...I understand the change.

@Boomerusaf, I misread your post. I missed that you were a Resident, drawing 4 tags.

I have no problem with limiting NR tag allocations, however I do feel that placing handicaps on a non-resident is out of line.

The total deer harvest in SD in 2018 was estimated at just under 52,000. The NR archery harvest was estimated at 1646. This new rule will knock off what, 100 deer being taken? Maybe 200? 200 out of a harvest of 52,000?

Yeah, that will be impactful. 0.4%. Damn NR killing all the deer. I find it interesting that this causes such an uproar. Residents have home field advantage plus can get a bunch more tags but are worried a guy like me from 1500 miles away who never set foot in SD is going to come out blind to your home turf and ace you out of “your” buck? That’s hilarious.
The rules are designed to lessen the pressure on the mule deer herd, specifically Custer NF. 282 NR archery hunters took 38 mule deer bucks there last year, 343 residents took 14. Seems that NR hunters are excellent at harvesting mulies and residents sorta suck. It's not at all about the 52,000, its about the 50 or so mulies taken out of this area.

Reactions: LCH
The rules are designed to lessen the pressure on the mule deer herd, specifically Custer NF. 282 NR archery hunters took 38 mule deer bucks there last year, 343 residents took 14. Seems that NR hunters are excellent at harvesting mulies and residents sorta suck. It's not at all about the 52,000, its about the 50 or so mulies taken out of this area.
Apparently all taken in September? So you’d argue a statewide delay of a month for NR archers is because of 50 mulies taken off of 100 square miles that are barely inside the state line?

NR hunters are often more serious than residents who may just pick up a tag because they’re cheap. Maybe next NR will have a speed limit of 220FPS on their bows, or shoot fingers/no release/ or maybe barebow. Like Trial said, hamstringing the visitors because the home team can’t compete is not cool.

Apparently all taken in September? So you’d argue a statewide delay of a month for NR archers is because of 50 mulies taken off of 100 square miles that are barely inside the state line?

NR hunters are often more serious than residents who may just pick up a tag because they’re cheap. Maybe next NR will have a speed limit of 220FPS on their bows, or shoot fingers/no release/ or maybe barebow. Like Trial said, hamstringing the visitors because the home team can’t compete is not cool.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
You never know!

I don't get how some people think NR are pulling tags easier and in greater numbers than Residents. I won't pretend to know all about the SD system but I doubt the NRs are taking atgs from residents. I just think it's cheap to hoard the PUBLIC land to themselves for the first month. I believe they do something similar with pheasant seasons and public land as well. Up until this year the residents could get both an east and west river rifle tag, at least one bow tag, maybe 2 , and maybe even a BH tag. Now they have to specify which one is most important to them, draw that one first, then try for the leftovers so that more residents get their first choice first. And if Tzone gets an Iowa tag, Iowa isn't going to tell him that he can only hunt private land for part of the season after the Iowa residents have already had time to stomp out that public land for themselves. Iowa rips off NR hunters $ with high priced tags, but this discussion is not about Iowa.

From what I've read and I'm sure I may be missing some things. The Rs feel that the NRs being able to buy an archery tag basically otc and use that tag to go hunt premium units that would take an R wanting to hunt those premiums units with a rifle years and years to draw. It would take NR even longer to draw a rfile tag for those units. Now the question one may ask is why don't the Rs go hunt those premium hunts with an archery tag, which I'm sure has been asked and I do not know the answer to that.

That is kind of where the 38-14 mulies taken last year upsets the R.

I think you are on the right track blb, Key words there are "with a rifle" - so instead of crying about it they should go buy a bow and actually put their boots on and go for a walk! Sadly us crying about it here isn't gonna change a thing either, but it's still a bunch of bull.

I won't argue, I'm simply stating the reason for the decision. I did NOT make the decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back