Yeti GOBOX Collection

SD Non Res Archery Changes

Just so we are clear you can spend all the time you want on the public lands of SD year-round. There are just some limits on when you can kill deer on those lands. You can't kill elk either as a NR. Sorry.

I agree SDGFP is stupid. I dislike most of what they do. And they are doing a lot. Our deer drawing just turned upside down, and we now have to apply for access tags to Custer NF. Not to mention they cubed all of our points which basically shuts out every new person to the elk draw. That pisses me off. And they changed the archery deer dates?????!!?! WTF¿ Nobody wanted archery deer to start Sep 1 that I know. Puzzling that they do all of this stuff, but I think the loudest voices closest to them get heard.

But, SD is a great opportunity. Harding County and CNF are not the only places to go, there are a ton of options. Just look for the online Atlas and start zooming in.

Reactions: ZBB
Just so we are clear you can spend all the time you want on the public lands of SD year-round. There are just some limits on when you can kill deer on those lands. You can't kill elk either as a NR. Sorry.

I agree SDGFP is stupid. I dislike most of what they do. And they are doing a lot. Our deer drawing just turned upside down, and we now have to apply for access tags to Custer NF. Not to mention they cubed all of our points which basically shuts out every new person to the elk draw. That pisses me off. And they changed the archery deer dates?????!!?! WTF¿ Nobody wanted archery deer to start Sep 1 that I know. Puzzling that they do all of this stuff, but I think the loudest voices closest to them get heard.

But, SD is a great opportunity. Harding County and CNF are not the only places to go, there are a ton of options. Just look for the online Atlas and start zooming in.

I figured they would start limiting the access passes for the CNF at some point.

I didn’t know anyone that wanted September 1st start dates either. Definitely not in the hill as that’s when the basically once in a lifetime elk tags start. And as I said before I never talked to anyone that complained about non residents, so I don’t even know where that came from. I’ve wanted to slap the snot out of more people with SD plates than anything else. It is dumb. Even dumber now that I’m a non resident haha

Zach

April 1st will be deadline after this year. Got an email directly from SDGFP. We have been going out for the last 5 or 6 years and I agree with some that this is a big deal. Why limit the NR archery so heavily? What is the success rate for archery, 30% at best? Gonna lose money is what's gonna happen. Plus an April deadline puts you in the middle of all the "destination" state application periods. That's what made SD so great. Good opportunity and could buy a tag on the way out if you wanted to. Oh well, they still got money out of me again this year.

Also saw a comment from somebody about Custer permits being the next thing regulated. You got your wish too. Limited and by draw this year already.

I guess I don’t understand all the complaining. I can understand people not liking Chang but good lord man. Hunt! Hike! Bike! Camp! Atv! Get out and enjoy the outdoors!

I didn’t draw. Do I like it? No. Am I gonna roll with it? Yep. Instead of whining, I’m packing the camera instead of my rifle. Headed to WR for a scouting adventure and going to “shoot” as many deer as I can first week of November.

And now they want our money before most states even perform their deer draws.......

View attachment 110960
And now they want our money before most states even perform their deer draws.......

Yeah, those statistics don’t even tell half the story, and what it does tell is just the story they want it to.
People are natural procrastinators. I’d love to see what this chart would say for Wisconsin residents. Most archery licenses are bought within a week of when season starts, same for rifle

Yeah, those statistics don’t even tell half the story, and what it does tell is just the story they want it to.
People are natural procrastinators. I’d love to see what this chart would say for Wisconsin residents. Most archery licenses are bought within a week of when season starts, same for rifle

August 1st deadline is fine, but April 1st in 2020??

first the penalty opening day day and now a stupid date change. SD is about off my list. I have donated the cost many NR SD deer tags over the years. It was always tag I bought most every year and if had time after my late September elk hunts I stop and hunt SD on my way home few day. last year with the September opening I hunted three days in the third week of sept. I bet I have bought 8 to 10 SD archery deer tags over last 15 years. Most have been nothing more then a donation. I am done donating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back