SD Elk Draw

I’m in timeout, and currently a non red. Good luck, if anyone draws the big unit, I have some areas to check.
Can't remember the big unit. But if it's the Deerfield area, I had a honey hole. As a NR, I can't even smell an elk tag so I'd be willing to help.

Deerfield is in the big unit. There’s a lot of honey holes out there I bet.

Oct 16-31
That’s awesome congrats. That south side of the boles canyon road gets pretty rough depending on the weather and logging activity. I know a little bit of the southern part but not a lot. If you head out there this summer and see some really big deer, don’t fall for their tricks, they aren’t around during hunting season haha

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Special thanks to Sytes for the loan of the inreach, without it, this hunt would have been a nightmare for my wife. Thanks again.
My story telling skills are undeveloped, but I'll try to relate what happened in my 2hr long elk season.
I drove across the state Thursday afternoon and met a good friend of mine for supper. His wife and son both had bull tags in the same unit I had a cow tag in. We caught up on old times and he told me where they had seen elk and where his buddies had been seeing elk. I filed all these spots away for future reference. I had a spot picked out where my daughter had killed a cow 2 years ago about 3 hours into her first elk hunt. I arrived at my plan A spot the next morning to find 2 hunters already at the trail head. I volunteered to relocate but they said to go ahead and hunt. They had bull tags and had spent some time in the area Thursday and had only seen one cow. And 7 other trucks. After visiting for a few minutes, I found out one of them was relative of my wife. Small world. Anyway, I thanked them for the courtesy of allowing me to hunt the area. I parked the truck, loaded my pack and hiked to the top of Plan A ridge. 200 yards down the ridge I spotted a raghorn bull. 30 seconds of a staring contest was all he could stand and trotted off with a second raghorn I had not seen. I continued down the ridge until it started to drop down into a valley. I thought I heard a bugle across the valley on the next ridge, then another followed by cow mews. I stopped and got my binos out and watched the elk pour down the opposite ridge into the valley. I quit counting at 28 cows and spike bulls. The bugling continued non-stop as a big 6x6 bull followed the cows into the valley. I crawled back into the trees and headed to the spot where I thought the lead cow would come up on the ridge I was on. I could not see the cows but I could see the big bull as he was chasing off 5 satelite bulls that were following the herd. All at once the lead cows was 80 yards away and headed right to me. She must have seen me or smelled me because she turned broadside and took one step out from behind a tree. My trusty 7MM barked, she stumbled, took a few steps and tipped over. End of story.

Back