SD Deer Hunt 2018

rjlefty3

Planning on bringing a buddy out to SD this upcoming fall. He's never been out west before, so we're trying for a mulie (although I don't think he'll pass up a nice whitetail - they're hard to get here in Maine!). We've been saving points for a few years and I have the unit we should be able to draw all mapped out. I used to live in Rapid and hunted a few areas, so I'm not completely green to SD hunting or this specific unit.

My plan is the rifle hunt the unit that I'm already somewhat familiar with, but we're also planning on bowhunting for 4-5 days before the opener (probably packing in and staying for 3-5 days, depending). I know SD isn't a typical backpack deer hunt, but we'll be able to get 3-5 miles away from roads fairly easily instead of day hunting it.

My questions are:

1: What are everyone's thoughts on bowhunting the same rifle unit? Anyone ever try this? I'm just concerned with us hunting the same unit for a few days, we might push some of the deer out of the area. I know the openers usually get hit pretty hard, so it'd be nice to have a few solid locations to check out on opening day.

2. Has anyone ever backpacked in during rifle season? Any negative experiences? I'm a bit uneasy about leaving all my camping gear on opening weekend of rifle season, so leaning towards just day hunts for that. Although would being 3-5 miles in make a difference?

3. Are there specific terrain features you look for on google earth?

4. And For those that have done it - what did you do about water? There are a couple creeks in the area that look pretty dry come November. Not really fond of using cattle ponds, and I'd love to avoid them if possible! Unfortunately, it looks like this might be my only option. So I'm thinking of just hiking in with a few gallons, since the hike shouldn't be that bad.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have any answers for your questions, but having hunted SD for over 40 years, I wonder where you can get 3-5 miles from a road?

I have hunted SD with archery and 3 days later rifle hunted the same area. The bucks are in the rut so as long as there are does around bucks will be cruising. Not sure on backpacking in, I haven't done that in SD. I do know that where I hunt out there I have a creek and a few deep ponds to get water from. I hope your tent has a stove in case it turns artic on you like it so often does out there.

I don't have any answers for your questions, but having hunted SD for over 40 years, I wonder where you can get 3-5 miles from a road?

I'll admit 5 is pushing it, but 3 is fairly easy to get. Although this assumes there isn't a small, accessible 2-track that doesn't show up on google earth. But I know it's entirely possible in at least 1 area!

I have hunted SD with archery and 3 days later rifle hunted the same area. The bucks are in the rut so as long as there are does around bucks will be cruising. Not sure on backpacking in, I haven't done that in SD. I do know that where I hunt out there I have a creek and a few deep ponds to get water from. I hope your tent has a stove in case it turns artic on you like it so often does out there.

Wasn't planning on bringing a stove, but you bring up a good point. I'm fairly well equipped for cold, but I'll have to double check and make sure of this.

What unit or area are u interested in? Hard to get info if we don't know area.

My questions are generalizations that shouldn't be applicable to a specific unit. We're going West River, northern half of the state.

Was gonna share some info on area's I hunted in the past but sounds like u have it all figured out . Have a good hunt.

I get "packing in" for an adventure, but if you are hunting public land it's going to be hard to get far enough away from people during the rifle season in SD to where it makes sense to spend all of your energy and effort "packing in" to one specific spot. Once you pack in and set up a camp, you are stuck there. Maybe you will find a spot that nobody else goes during the busiest time of the year but the odds of that are slim. I would day hunt and be mobile if I were you. Just my .02. Good luck on your hunt!

I would guess if you can get three miles in or more you won’t see many other hunters.

I personaly like the camping idea, camping can save you valuable hours sleep/travel each day. Now the packing in sounds like it could be limiting you more than helping you. I would rather spend a few days scouting to find a good deer and try to kill it.

This year for water, we brought along three or four of those 4-gallon water jugs you'd get from Culligan (Walmart and Sam's Club usually carry them for a little over $4) but we also had a vehicle accessible so we didn't pack in 4 gallons of water. Maybe it's an idea for you though. One guy pack in water and a few other odds and ends and the other guy bring the rest of the gear.

Thanks for the opinions, guys. I think you solidified us just day hunting during rifle season. Might give it a go during bow season and carry water in. We won't be too far from the truck, so a trip back wouldn't take more than a couple hours. Hopefully we'll be able to avoid that, but hard telling until we set foot there.

I'm not sure I would take the time and effort to pack a camp in. I would find somewhere comfortable to camp right on the road or near the road so you're not stuck in one place and can be more mobile. By the time you go in three or five miles more than likely in most places your damn near going out the other side.The weekends of rifle season are going to be a pumpkin patch but come midweek it really slows down. Yes getting off of the road can be important but don't over think it. Have fun

One more thing. The state has changed the way preference points are used so you might want to check that out.

Archery season would be cool for packing. Plenty of country rough enough to not want to traverse in the dark to be there at first light. I have a mesa I would like to return to that is a nightmare in the dark. Small shelter, some food, water. Better than navigating that nightmare in the dark.

Archery season would be cool for packing. Plenty of country rough enough to not want to traverse in the dark to be there at first light. I have a mesa I would like to return to that is a nightmare in the dark. Small shelter, some food, water. Better than navigating that nightmare in the dark.

Hoping it works out like that! We're not doing a hotel, so we're camping one way or the other. Might as well camp closer to the hunt area!

Dakota - I saw that, didn't realize it was finalized. Should still be all set but a second look won't hurt. Thanks!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back