Screwing over the Non-resident (or not)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the archery combo is 410. There are some other incidental costs as well
Yah the majority of NR I have met come for the week before thanksgiving bowhunt for four days then gun hunt the three day first season. So close to $800 if you go that route with stamps and both tags.

Last edited:
Yah the majority of NR I have met come for the week befirenthanksgiving bowhjnt for 4 days then gun hunt the three day first season. So close to $800 if you go that route with stamps and both tags.

All my tags, except for the extra antlers tags cost 385 as NR land owner. The Additional antlerless tags I buy are 25 each, so an additional 250 depending on the year

Elk prices versus whitetail prices is supply and demand. 44 states have whitetails and the majority offer NR tags. I’m too lazy to look up the how many states have NR elk tags but I’d guess it’s probably 12 or less.

No way I’m driving to Illinois to shoot a whitey when I can shoot 1-3 in Idaho for under $60 total.

Elk tags should cost more. A lot more.

Mmmk. Not everybody has elk and mule deer and antelope to hunt every year. Even WY residents come here to deer hunt sometimes.
There are only 3 states I’d ever go back to the Midwest for when it comes to whitetail. IL is on that list, no doubt about it. Crazy how it gets slept on.

That has been going on for the entire time I've lived in Montana. Ted Turner bought several ranches in Montana. The Wilkes brothers own a shit load of land, not only in Montana. You aren't saying anything that most don't already know.

It is a fact that, absent public land, elk hunting would already be reserved for the wealthy and connected. Oh, there would be hunting for cow elk, the real interest for wealthy hunters, are mature bulls. Montana has shoulder seasons where hunters can hunt for a cow elk on land where they will never have permission to hunt for a bull.

So your threat is pretty empty, it has been going on for longer than I've been alive. It will continue. It will make things tougher for both resident hunters and non resident hunters. I'll let you figure out which group of hunters get hurt more.

Regarding resident license fees, I wish they priced the present $25 resident elk tag at $100. It would likely cause a drop in resident hunter numbers, but net more revenue. It won't happen because legislators won't withstand the blowback. It is far easier for them to raise non resident licenses, since they can't vote them out of office. So, maybe aim your boundless vitriol at our politicians. They aren't much different than politicians everywhere else.

Don’t count on that support for public lands too long! With any luck you might be lining up to buy LO tags sooner than you think!

Don’t count on that support for public lands too long! With any luck you might be lining up to buy LO tags sooner than you think!
How exactly are land owners tags part of the North American Model of Wildlife Management?

Elk prices versus whitetail prices is supply and demand. 44 states have whitetails and the majority offer NR tags. I’m too lazy to look up the how many states have NR elk tags but I’d guess it’s probably 12 or less.

No way I’m driving to Illinois to shoot a whitey when I can shoot 1-3 in Idaho for under $60 total.

Elk tags should cost more. A lot more.
I was just comparing percentages of a critter here with the same base price to your elk cost. If we had elk here I could damn sure tell you we would pay way more than your $25 for a resident tag. So all things considered I think it's fair to say you folks COULD pay more for your elk tags and it wouldn't kill off the hunter numbers at all

I'll put that in the not too worried column. I think it's pretty fanciful to think that the fate of public lands rests in the hands of non resident hunters. That is such a tiny demographic, maybe a touch bigger than transgendered Haitian immigrants.

There will be public land long after you and I are dust in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back