Scout Camp Fishing

smarandr

I took 7 boys to scout camp last week and 6 of them had never been fishing before. So, one day we made a two mile hike up to mountain lake and wet our lines. I set each boy up with a gold or silver panther martin spinner, taught them the basics of casting and retrieving and turned them loose. There was a lot of griping about the length and altitude gain on the hike, but once they finally got to the lake and were fishing the complaining magically stopped. By the end 5 of the 7 boys had caught a fish all on their own, and I let the other two reel in some of the fish I caught.

I'd like to post pictures of kid's with smiling faces, but as I recall that's a big no no, so I'll post pictures of a few of the fish we caught. I was especially surprised to see that there were grayling in the lake--I'd never caught one before.
IMG_20160609_135649.jpgIMG_20160609_141027.jpgIMG_20160609_141042.jpgIMG_20160609_154134.jpg

Nice job, it's fun helping the kids out like that.

I did my time as a scout leader and scoutmaster, I was always shocked and saddened by the number of kids who's first trip to the mountains was with me (we were in Thornton - north of denver suburb)

Looks like a great time! Beautiful country and weather - Caught a few Grayling in that lake myself - sent you a PM, just to make sure I guessed right

Good for you, and yes, posting faces is a big no no.
I'm taking a group of Scouts up to my favorite lake for a two nght camp out, hike and fish in two weeks.

The boys who have never caught a fish will get out on the lake first.

Thankful for my BSA times. Glad you gents are investing in those boys lives. Nine Eagle Scouts in my and next generation.

Thankful for my BSA times. Glad you gents are investing in those boys lives. Nine Eagle Scouts in my and next generation.

I'm thankful for them too, and now that I'm a leader I'm especially grateful for all my leaders did for me.

I don't know that any of these kids will end up being outdoorsmen, but they all had an experience last week that most American boys go without these days. I hope that counts for something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back