Caribou Gear

Scope Recommendations for .325 WSM

GoatHntr

Hi All,

I am looking for scope recommendations for my .325 WSM.

The primary purpose of this rifle will be for elk hunting.

Generally what range of power would you recommend for that purpose and what make/ model would you recommend? I’m looking for a quality piece that will do the job without breaking the bank.

Thank you for any advice.

2-10 for under 400 yds, or 4-16 for a bit more reach if you aren't hunting timber. Vortex Viper or Vortex Razor HD LH depending on budget and reticle preference.

Get quality scope rings. On our last hunting trip to MT my hunting buddy used my back up rifle because his scope rings on his 325 WSM were cracked. That was 2019, but as far back as 2017 he was having issues with his scope that, in hindsight, were related to his rings.

Leupold VX3i 4-14CDS ZL. I have 2 of them. 1 on my Nosler .30 and one on my .28. Get ahold of member schmaltz ( predator optics) for best deal.

2-10 for under 400 yds, or 4-16 for a bit more reach if you aren't hunting timber. Vortex Viper or Vortex Razor HD LH depending on budget and reticle preference.

Get quality scope rings. On our last hunting trip to MT my hunting buddy used my back up rifle because his scope rings on his 325 WSM were cracked. That was 2019, but as far back as 2017 he was having issues with his scope that, in hindsight, were related to his rings.

Awesome man thank you for the tip and suggestion Vortex has been on my list for quality scopes. I agree about scope rings. We had a similar problem on a deer hunt many years ago.

Leupold VX3i 4-14CDS ZL. I have 2 of them. 1 on my Nosler .30 and one on my .28. Get ahold of member schmaltz ( predator optics) for best deal.

Thank you sir I just looked up the scope definitely a quality piece. I will reach out to member schmaltz for further details. Thanks again!

I put a Zeiss V6 3-18x50 on my 325 wsm because I snagged one for a killer deal. I would go with a VX-5 3-15x44 or the vx3 4-14x50. I use talley one piece scope rings on most of my rifles that dont have a picatinny rail with no problems.

I put a Zeiss V6 3-18x50 on my 325 wsm because I snagged one for a killer deal. I would go with a VX-5 3-15x44 or the vx3 4-14x50. I use talley one piece scope rings on most of my rifles that dont have a picatinny rail with no problems.

Thanks for the recommendation! I like Zeiss a lot they are on the higher end of cost but produce an excellent product. I’ll look into it.

Do you typically run a 180gr or 200gr bullet in your .325wsm?

Here is what I would recommend, and how I would rank them. All have good to exceptional glass, have reliable tracking, solid reputation for holding and returning to zero, and cost between $300-$1000. This will be less if you get them on sale or find good used models. I haven't decided which rifle I plan to use during the upcoming elk season, but it will either wear a SWFA 3-9 or Tract Toric 2-10.

1. SWFA 3-9×42 HD
2. Nightforce SHV 3-10×42 or Tract Toric 2-10×42
3. SWFA 6×42 ( Don't underestimate these scopes. Despite what other may say, 6x scopes are great for big game hunting for ethical-sane hunting ranges.)

Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendation! I like Zeiss a lot they are on the higher end of cost but produce an excellent product. I’ll look into it.

Do you typically run a 180gr or 200gr bullet in your .325wsm?
I tried the 200 grain barnes tsx but my rifle didnt like them. I ended up using the 200 gr partitions in my 325wsm. H4350 worked but I got much better velocity with RL-17. I couldnt find any accubonds during my load development so I never tried them.

I used to have a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10 on my 325 wsm, and it served me well on hunts. But recently I decided to upgrade to a VX-5HD 3-15. Both scopes are good, but the VX-5HD is a an improvement.

I've gotten accuracy and performance with 200 gr Accubonds and H4350, and have taken elk with this bullet and have 100% confidence with it. But I would shoot what ever 200 gr bullet that your particular rifle likes.

Don't have a specific scope recommendation, looks like the other guys got that covered. One thing to check - make sure whatever scope you get offers plenty of eye relief (distance from your eye to the rear end of the scope). The .325 recoil might lead to some scope eye if there isn't sufficient eye relief, and not all of my scopes seem to have the same amount.

I don't have a .325, but have a .338 WinMag and run a Leupold 2x8 power on that.

One other thought - if bumping into a bear in the timber is a risk, I have found it a lot easier to do quick point-and-shoots using 2x as the low end, as opposed to 6x. I know a bear encounter may be a long shot, and the opportunity to even try a point and shoot on a bear is a very small likelihood, but just wanted to mention it.

Skip the vortex import, buy American and contact me about the VX-3i. If you can spend more the VX- 5. Is a really nice scope. PM me

Back