Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Scope movment

David58

Got my scope mounted at Cabelas, and had a good first day at the range with it. However, I find the eye relief to not be ideal, the scope needs to come back somewhere between half and one inch.

If I move it back on the mounts (not loosening the rings) will I foul up my POI?

I recently loosened the rings and rotated the scope to level a canted reticle on my rifle and the effects on the poi were negligible at 100 yards.

Best way to find your eye relief is to get into whatever shooting position you prefer (standing, etc), close your eyes and shoulder the rifle WITHOUT OPENING YOUR EYES. Get a good comfortable cheek weld, THEN open your sighting eye. You should see a perfect circle with no black around the edges. If you have to move the scope forward or backward in the rings, repeat the shouldering the weapon with your eyes closed until you see only the field of view in the scope (no black around the edges) when you open your sighting eye. If the rifle is sighted in already, and you just loosen the screws on the rings without removing the rings from the bases, you should remain pretty close on your zero. Might have to fine tune with a click or two of adjustments.

Might be off a tick depending how far out you’re planning on shooting. If it were me, I’m anal about my scope being as close to perfect for me as I can get it. Long term, especially if you’ll hunt with it, it’ll probably be worth it to move it where you’re comfortable and zero it again (shouldn’t take more than a few shots to zero it since I’m assuming you already are zeroed)

Best way to find your eye relief is to get into whatever shooting position you prefer (standing, etc), close your eyes and shoulder the rifle WITHOUT OPENING YOUR EYES. Get a good comfortable cheek weld, THEN open your sighting eye. You should see a perfect circle with no black around the edges. If you have to move the scope forward or backward in the rings, repeat the shouldering the weapon with your eyes closed until you see only the field of view in the scope (no black around the edges) when you open your sighting eye.
This is good advice and is often not followed. In addition to eye relief it is also the method one should use to determine ring height. I agree with the assertion that it is best to use as low of rings as you possibly can with your setup. However, so many shooters are convinced that, because some internet genius says you need to use low rings, they must do so. For so many "use low rings" is bad advice" where "use as low of rings as you can while using your natural and comfortable cheek weld" is better (best?) advice. The above practice/technique will let you know which height rings are appropriate for you.

Thanks, all! I have a torque driver on order from Amazon, and will go after fixin' this next Saturday. Still going to the range tomorrow to work more on zero...

If anyone at a box store touched my rifle or scope I’d go to great lengths to ensure it wasn’t screwed up. You’ll do great on your own, then you’ll know how to do it; a worthwhile investment of some time.
I was very pleased at what the kid at Cabelas did, if I'd done my part before he torqued it down I would be pretty well set. Pleased that it worked so well - gunsmiths are few and far between around here. Just got to get that eye relief right.

I was very pleased at what the kid at Cabelas did, if I'd done my part before he torqued it down I would be pretty well set. Pleased that it worked so well - gunsmiths are few and far between around here. Just got to get that eye relief right.
Dime a dozen to find a good tech at the bigger stores seems like now a days

Post season i have to spin my wifes scope a touch to get the cross hairs horizontal/verticle. Nice to know it shouldn't change POI much.

I'm new to hunting but have done a lot of competitive shooting. The number one reason guys miss in 3 gun is not knowing their dope but followed closely behind is incorrect zero. I'd check it. :)

If anyone at a box store touched my rifle or scope I’d go to great lengths to ensure it wasn’t screwed up. You’ll do great on your own, then you’ll know how to do it; a worthwhile investment of some time.
On top of that after having a loose scope/base years ago I believe in blue loctite. Some my disagree thts fine, but as someone said when I'm through I know its right and if not I'm to blame. You will not regret getting that torque wrench, just adds to the confidence level.

Back