Scope Mount Failures? anyone else?

GoldToyBox

Anyone else seen scope mount failures?
I've had it happen to me twice now and seen it a third time. (15 yrs between events)

First time: 300 Ultra Mag sighting in new rifle, rear screw broke off after approx. 12 rds.

Second time: 300 Win Mag, check gun on before starting hunt, scope came off mounts approx. 4rds.

Third time: same gun and mounts as the second time, shot an Elk (3 shots) and noticed the scope miss aligned, probably would have came loose with a couple more shots.

The first event the mounts were the Leupold or a Leupold style (not positive, sold the gun). The second and third events were Leupold mounts & rings.
The rounds fired were heavy loads and heavy bullets, 300 Ultra Mag had a muzzle break, the 300 Win Mag is a slick barrel. Both rifles are Remington 700's. I have several other guns using the same Leupold setup with no problems but these are all smaller caliber/loads.
Failures all occurred at the rear screws that capture the scope ring.
Scopes would be considered heavy too.

So we now have no confidence in these mounts. What is everyone using? or recommend? I'm setup up a new 300 Win Short Mag and remounting the 300 Win Mag.

thanks for any thoughts, advise, brand recommendations, just any ole help

Attachments

• IMG_0001 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_0001 (Copy).jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
I had the same problem the screws would loosen up. Switched to Leupold dual dovetail rings have not had a problem since. Mine are on a 300 win

Weird. I have a .300 RUM with literally hundreds of rounds through it. No brake. Same mounts. mtmuley

Had a Leupold rear dovetail so far off center I could barely adjust for windage on a 7 RUM. Should have noticed it when I installed. Never had a connection failure on a lupe mount though.

If I were you, I'd go with a base/ring combo that did not have windage adjustment. Not a part of a rifle I want to be able to move. Lots of choices in that regard, but I'd be taking a look at the Talley one piece mounts. All one piece and quite light as well.

I have Talley one piece rings on my 300 ultramag pushing 210 nosler ablr .In a sendero
with a leupold scope and have no problems .

amazon ..to your door for about 40.00 $$$
Gettng ready to order a set for a Rem. 308 project ..
good luck

MT.PERCHMAN.

If I were you, I'd go with a base/ring combo that did not have windage adjustment. Not a part of a rifle I want to be able to move. Lots of choices in that regard, but I'd be taking a look at the Talley one piece mounts. All one piece and quite light as well.

This. I'm switching my weaver style mounts (Burris Signature Rings) on my 300WSM for a 1 piece Talley. Haven't had a problem with it but the scope is mounted just a bit too high. My new Winchester is getting switched from the Leupold windage style to a 2 piece Talley extended...should be here from Amazon on Wednesday.

I would use a one piece rail bedded to the action and if Leupold is your brand, the PWR rings, lightly lapped. That combination will ensure a concentric and cylindrical mount system to hold your scope. If you want additional insurance from scope movement, ring tape can be added.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back