Scope ideas

MaddH

Looking for some ideas in a scope. I have a Christenson Arms Mesa 28 Nosler I need to rig up. I have a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x 10x40 windplex sitting in the safe. Thoughts on if I should go higher magnification, FIREDOT , or just use what I got. Realistically 400yds would be max shots

If you plan to shoot deer beyond 300yds, and care about the antlers I would kick the power up a little, although it wouldn’t have to be a lot. You can make the shot with a 4X, but antler judging can be hard. I shot the wrong buck with a 6X. :( I left my higher powered glass behind when I closed the distance. I’ve been hunting with higher powered scopes since then.

Your VX3i is a great scope. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Firedot is nice. A little extra magnification is nice. But they won’t make you a better shot.

I have a VX5HD 3-15x44, VX3i 3.5-10x40, and VX3HD 3.5-1x40, all without the firedot. All great scopes. The VX5HD does have better glass, but not by a ton.

I know it’s not on your list of options, but I would take choose my Zeiss V4 4x16 over my Leupold VX6 or VX3 any day.

The quality of the glass is head and shoulders above the Leupolds, the turrets track better, it’s lighter, and it holds zero, consistently, over time.

For years I had a 3.5-10x44 on my main hunting rig, killed plenty of animals with it, then I got into a situation where three bucks were squaring off in the sage brush at 375 yards with a group of does. I could make out the biggest buck in my binos, but they were constantly moving around one another, and I was having a hard time judging the bucks through my my scope. Well, I ended up killing the wrong buck. I put a 3-18 scope on that rifle and haven’t had that issue again. The extra magnification allows me to way better judge animals, and I find myself passing on more bucks these days looking for something just a little better.

I just ordered the VX5 3-15x44 windplex. I have several VX 3I 4.5-14x40 scopes and they are awesome. I also have a VX5 2-10 fire dot. The glass on the VX5 is better and a bit brighter. If you plan on shooting to 400 the higher magnification will help. Looking at similar scopes as you, I went with the non fire dot. Not sure it helps much but I think you are on the right track looking at Leupold scopes FWIW.

Looking for some ideas in a scope. I have a Christenson Arms Mesa 28 Nosler I need to rig up. I have a Leupold VX-3i 3.5x 10x40 windplex sitting in the safe. Thoughts on if I should go higher magnification, FIREDOT , or just use what I got. Realistically 400yds would be max shots
Greenhorn has a great deal on a Vortex Razor 3-15. I own 2 of them and absolutely love them.

If you plan to shoot deer beyond 300yds, and care about the antlers I would kick the power up a little, although it wouldn’t have to be a lot. You can make the shot with a 4X, but antler judging can be hard. I shot the wrong buck with a 6X. :( I left my higher powered glass behind when I closed the distance. I’ve been hunting with higher powered scopes since then.
Oh my! You scope deer too? Shame on us! 😉

I have a VX5HD 3-15 and several 4.5-14 VX3i. I routinely shoot out to 500 at a 12” tall by 18” long plate. No issues with either. I actually prefer the 4.5-14 for the weight reduction, I feel it’s the perfect all around hunting scope.

Greenhorn has a great deal on a Vortex Razor 3-15. I own 2 of them and absolutely love them.
I see enough sad stories on here to convince me Vortex should sell each of their scopes with at least a half dozen postage paid pre-addressed mailers to their support facility.

I see enough sad stories on here to convince me Vortex should sell each of their scopes with at least a half dozen postage paid pre-addressed mailers to their support facility.
If it is on the internet it MUST be true?? I can tell you I currently own 6 Vortex scopes, 1 Nikon, 1 Leupold and have never had issue with any of them. Once upon a time I owned and operated a gun shop and and in my 20+ years I have personally mounted 1000's of rifle scopes. I have seen issues with every brand and 95% of them was due to improper mounting. Being from WI I also find piece of mind knowing that if I were to have an issue the Vortex customer service is top of the line and close by.

You are definitely into the expensive exotic stuff ... which is okay for sure. But if you plan to stay within 400 yards shooting at animals (which to me is a stretch) I personally feel some of the suggestions are overkill. No crime in that for sure. In fact, if you own a gun that is overkill - and your Christenson tack-driver certainly seems to fit that bill - then maybe it won't look right with optics that are anything less?

I think red dot in a big scope is also overkill and may lead to taking unethical shots or shooting the wrong animal. If I can't see well enough through a conventional scope then it's probably too late in the day to be taking the shot, especially a very long shot. Right now I'm shooting a 3x9 Nikon BDC scope on a sporterized WWII 30-06 Springfield and I can get a 3" group at 300 meters (330 yards). 200 meters it's consistently just under MOA. Four years ago this scope replaced a 3X Weaver that the gun had worn since 1972. That old scope looked like it belonged on my gun and it worked fine tracking deer, elk, and moose in snow for up close and personal shots. But when in my sixties I resumed hunting big game on the plains of Montana and Africa, 3X wasn't enough to do the animals justice at the ranges I was encountering. It was a different way of hunting with eyes that had changed massively due to weak retinas. So appearance gave way to ethical considerations. I never messed up or lost an animal (with one sort-of exception) and didn't want to start at this stage in life.

I think the scope you have will probably do what you want out to 400 yards just fine (350 for sure). Perhaps others would expect to see something higher up the food chain on a gun like that. You decide what's important to you. And enjoy.

If it is on the internet it MUST be true?? I can tell you I currently own 6 Vortex scopes, 1 Nikon, 1 Leupold and have never had issue with any of them. Once upon a time I owned and operated a gun shop and and in my 20+ years I have personally mounted 1000's of rifle scopes. I have seen issues with every brand and 95% of them was due to improper mounting. Being from WI I also find piece of mind knowing that if I were to have an issue the Vortex customer service is top of the line and close by.
Go through the threads on here. One horror story after another. Yes, Vortex does have great support by all accounts. They need to or they wouldn't stay in business.

Your VX3i in the safe will do just fine. The last scope I purchased from Schmalts was a VX3HD Firedot, great scope. The one thing that I am not too keen about with the Firedot is the fine crosshairs are broader, in comparison to the standard Widnplex, to incorporate the firedot.

Oh my! You scope deer too? Shame on us! 😉
I’m confused? I said that I left my higher power glass behind when I began closing the distance. At 300yds through 6X I thought I shot the correct deer, but I did not.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back