Scope help

jabber

Looking to buy a new scope for my 300 win mag. Would like to get something in the 4 x 14 power range. Would also like to keep it below a grand. What would you purchase if you were in this position?

I like to start and end my looking with Leupold. What sort of hunting is this rifle for? Treestand? Elk in the high country? All-around big game whacker?

Add Kahles to Leupold VX III and Zeiss Conquest.
One of these three will quality glass under a grand.

IMO, I'd look at nothing larger than 42mm objective and no more than 9X on the upper end. But again, that's just me.

IMO, I'd look at nothing larger than 42mm objective and no more than 9X on the upper end. But again, that's just me.

Just curious pointer, is it the image stability of the lower magnification that you prefer? I'd rather dial it down than need more X & not have it.

Not so much image stability as it is I don't see the need for more X's. As of right now I'm only comfortable shooting to 300yds on big game and at even that distance a 4X scope makes them seem less than 100yds away. This year I hunted with a 3-9X40 scope and it was set on 6X the whole time. Didn't have any trouble shooting critters from about 70yrds to about 250yds...

If I can get the money saved up, I'll be putting a straight 6X on my rifle for next year. All the power that I need for big game and the fixed power scopes are 'tougher' due to the lack of moving parts.

I agree with most of what 1 pointer said. Really though it's been a long time since I've seen a quality variable go south., so I wouldn't worry about a recently manufactures variable being a problem. Were it me,I'd choose a VX-III 1.75 to 6x or at most a 2.5-8X.

I tell you what, the new Nikon i bought last fall beats the crap out of my 10 year old varixIII lupey. What I am trying to say is optics have come a long way in 10 years, and even a 300$ nikon is awsome. I love the new ballistic reticles as well, and wouldnt buy a western hunting scope without one again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back