Scope help. Vortex viper vs. Nikon prostaff 5?

Eric.MN

I know there's a lot of leupold fans in here but I seem to lean purchasing a vortex scope on top my new tikka t3. I also see Nikon has a prostaff 5 3.5x14 for around the same price at the viper 4x16. Has anyone had one or both of these before and shed some light on them? I have a Nikon m-.223 4x16 on my .223 and love the scope but Not much experience with other scopes.
Also how come it seems you can find a viperHS 6.5x20-50mm cheaper then the 4x16-50mm HS viper? Am I missing something? I'm more archery then rifle so forgive me.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Can i ask why you are not considering the Leupold line? PM me for a price on Leupold or the Nikon. Vortex turned my business model down again so I cannot help you there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the PM. Let's see if we can get you into Leupold now.

Schmalts,
I am in the same boat as Eric.MN, but for me its a toss up between Nikon and Leupold.

I bought that same viper ( HS 16x 50mm) a year ago to put on a new rifle. I was very disappointed in it when comparing it to a 4.5-14x Burris e1 that I happened to have out of the vault. I set them both up on my back porch with an eye chart at 75yds while the sun was starting to set in front of me. The coatings on the Vortex were terrible compared to the Burris, the Vortex had a white halo ring while the Burris was fine. The Vortex was also not as clear as the Burris regardless of how I much adjusted the focus. It may have to do with the third lens for the side parallax compared to the Burris being on the front as that is usually the case. I could read smaller font in lower light with the Burris e1.

I returned the Vortex to Sportsman's Warehouse, it did have nice positive turrets though. Personally would go with Leupold or Nikon over Vortex when comparable prices are involved. Others have had their own experiences and that's cool, just thought I'd share mine.

I have the Viper HS in 4x16x44 and I LOVE it. Love the clarity and the features. My first animal taken with it was a antelope doe at 390m using the BDC :)

Nikon has some good products BUT I will never do business with them again. I had a bad experience with their warranty on my rangefinder. After getting frustrated and telling them to stick their product where the sun doesn't shine I bought a different rangefinder. About a month later they sent me a replacement for the original rangefinder. So I sold the one they sent. I have a good friend that had a very similar issue. Also I know of a major business that had issues with their scope warranty's. Leupold is my go to product and I have been very pleased with them.
YMMV Dan

E., I have used Nikon's PROSTAFF 5 4.5-14 BDC scope. I do freelance PR/Shooting Event's for Nikon so I get a lot of opportunities to try out new products and put rounds under them. Not just by myself but with different groups I work with at the range as well as Nikons large shooting event's of 200 and up. The PROSTAFF 5 is a nice scope. Very clear, easy to use and I am a big fan of having parallax adjustment for my longrange shots. Nikon also has Spot On which lets you dial in your shooting data so that you can make accurate longrange shotsusing the BDC reticle. If you do decide to go this route make sure you check out this sites Sponsors to get the best deal. Drop me a note if you have any question's. I don't work directly for Nikon and I don't do any sales. Here's some I put together for guy's asking question's about the PROSTAFF 5 line. The below pic shows the PROSTAFF 5 mounted on a Winchester Model 70 Coyote.

The PROSTAFF 5 Riflescope line has all of the riflescope technology to make it a trusted favorite among hunters for years to come. With more than 15 riflescopes in the line, 3 different finishes and 4 different reticles offered, this is one of Nikon’s most comprehensive offerings for hunters and shooters who call for that specific riflescope that matches their rifle.

- Every riflescope in the PROSTAFF 5 line features Spring-loaded Instant Zero-Reset Turrets. This feature enables the user to lift the turret and reset to the zero mark after sighting in the rifle. What this means to the end user is that any subsequent changes will start from the zero mark and will be clearly indicated, so that going back to the original setting in which the scope was sighted is just a matter of dialing back to zero.

- Each model has a quick focus eyepiece that makes focusing the riflescope a breeze. Simply turn and adjust as needed.

- With a 4x zoom ratio, you’ll have a wide-enough magnification range to tackle both close and long range shots.

- The optical quality is of the superior clarity you’ve come to expect from Nikon. Each PROSTAFF 5 is built using fully-multicoated optics that allow for 95% light transmission and exceptional low-light performance for those peak periods of hunting when you need it most.

- Designed for use with Nikon’s Spot On Ballistic Match Technology, you can match an unlimited number of loads, calibers and environmental conditions to your Nikon riflescope to learn the exact aiming points at a given range. This is especially useful when using a model that has a BDC reticle with ballistic circles that serve as aiming points. Just don’t forget your Nikon rangefinder to get the exact distance to your target!

- The PROSTAFF 5 is Waterproof, Fogproof, and Shockproof and will hold up in any tough conditions you may find yourself in. Nikon backs all of its riflescopes with a Lifetime Warranty so in the event that something does go wrong, you’re covered.

prostaff5416.jpg

I have two ProStaff 5's and love them. I also got the white/grey circle on the edge of the Vortex scopes I was looking through. I love Vortex bins I have and their products. The cost between a nice ProStaff 5 and a higher end Vortex wassnt in the cards for me. I Choose the Nikon since it was clearer and cost less.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back