Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Scope for a Remington m783 .270

Sethmac

Hi Folks,

I typically hunt with a bow, but for my birthday my dad gave me a Remington M783 .270 (from Academy). It has a no-name scope mounted which is adequate. The eye relief is bad IMO.

I would like to upgrade the optics and have had my eye on a Vortex scope given the price point. We hunt in a very wooded area of East Texas (absolute longest shot probably is 200 yards and that is stretching it).

I want to use it for hunting out of a blind or tree stand for deer, as well as hunting out of stands and spot and stalking hogs (see majority of our hogs at night with light attached to scope).

What advice do you have for me on scope selection? I will hunt our place 99% of the time but may venture to more open area sometimes.

I stopped into Academy to look at Diamondbacks but at 9x on the 3x9x40 and the 4x12 it seemed to get awful blurry.

min other hand the Leupold Freedom seemed much more clear...any experience with these...comparable?

There are a lot of trees and I do hunt in a good bit of lowlight situations

Thanks for the welcome! I didn't get a chance to look through a 2x7 but I will look around.

Any advice on mounting...I'll be honest, I'm typically into archery and watching some of the mounting videos I didn't realize all that went into the process...ignorance on my part.

Not sure what rings and height I should pickup with the 3x9...the gun currently has two independent mounts on each side of the action...should I be replacing this with a rail?

If possible take your rifle to the store that you're buying the scope and have them help you mount everything. A reputable store will be very willing to help you if you buy stuff from them

I'd probably pick the 3-9 Leupold Freedom but I've never compared it to the Vortex Diamondback. I bet they're pretty close. The bases are probably ok (if you keep them take them off, clean them and torque them down. A picatinny rail is not necessary however can be helpful when getting a scope to mount where you want it on a long action. I'd use low scope rings...I'd stay away from el cheapo rings (no Leapers, no UTG, etc) and go with a moderately priced Leupold, Burris, Warne or Vortex.

I like Vortex, but sold off my Diamondbacks. Not enough better over their Crossfire II to warrant the extra price.

In my opinion, Leupold is the much better option.

For your distances, the 2-7, and 3-9 should work well for you.

There really isn't any voodoo concerning mounting a scope. I would recommend getting an inch pound torque wrench if you don't already have one.
A small bubble level for the back of the action, makes the gun level. A piece of string hung on the other side of the room will make sure the scope is level.

Give member Schmalts a PM.
He'll treat you right!

I think a 3-9x scope will work fine, but if you’ll be in really dense brush, go with 1.5 or 2x on the low end. I have a Leupold VX-R 3-9x on my .270 and am happy with it. I’m also a huge fan of Leupold 2pc bases and quick release rings. They allow me to store my rifles and scopes separately and transport my scopes separate from my rifles so that they don’t get knocked and banged around on the rough roads and trails.

I think a 3-9x scope will work fine, but if you’ll be in really dense brush, go with 1.5 or 2x on the low end. I have a Leupold VX-R 3-9x on my .270 and am happy with it. I’m also a huge fan of Leupold 2pc bases and quick release rings. They allow me to store my rifles and scopes separately and transport my scopes separate from my rifles so that they don’t get knocked and banged around on the rough roads and trails.
Are you taking the scopes on and off going to/from hunting areas?

Yes I am. I Probably should have added that my zero hasn’t been affected by removing and reinstalling, just as Leupold claims. It’s really a great set up, at least I think so. If memory serves, they even have a single piece QR base for those that prefer a single base set-up instead.

No offense but that makes absolutely zero sense. I bet there is change that you don't notice but you're messing with fire on that one

No offense but that makes absolutely zero sense. I bet there is change that you don't notice but you're messing with fire on that one
This! He's also asking about using a CDS. Minute changes that aren't that noticeable at closer ranges start to matter at longer ranges. That's more variables being introduced than I'd be comfortable with...

This! He's also asking about using a CDS. Minute changes that aren't that noticeable at closer ranges start to matter at longer ranges. That's more variables being introduced than I'd be comfortable with...

I understand where you guys are coming from, and that makes perfect sense. I was skeptical at first as well and considered this set-ups affect on accuracy. So far, I haven't had issues. The farthest I've shot with this set up has only been 300 yards but my POA/POI has consistently been within an MOA, and I am by no means what I would call a crack shot, so I'm sure hands more capable and experinced than mine could do better. So far, so good. I currently use a 100 yard zero. I'm planning to go with a 200 yard zero to help reduce variances at longer distances. I like this set-up, but if I ever notice it having a detrimental affect on accuracy, I'm not opposed to switching to non-removable bases and rings.

Do yourself a favor and avoid Vortex. Go with an SWFA fixed 6x, or one of the Meopro scopes. Vortex has a good warranty, but you have a better-than-average chance of having to use it, much like new Leupolds.

this would be unacceptable to me that tells me things are not zero

Really? You would consider groups of less than 1 MOA at 300 yards unacceptable? Do you think it's something I'm doing wrong, or you think it's my set up?

My bad I read your post as POI was within 1 moa...meaning it shifted an MOA

Probably could've done a better job writing it. English Composition wasn't exactly one of my better classes in college lol.

I have two vortex optics, one (a diamondback hp 4-16x44) I got on a Remington 700 308 I traded for that looked like it had a milk jug sitting in the center that’s currently in their repair shop as we speak. The other is a vortex red dot but no problems with it yet. Anyway my preference would be a Nikon prostaff or a Burris fullfield ii. I have both of those and never had a problem from them. I have a Leupold Vx-1 as well and side by side both of the other two scopes look just as clear and from my experience are usually cheaper.

I have two vortex optics, one (a diamondback hp 4-16x44) I got on a Remington 700 308 I traded for that looked like it had a milk jug sitting in the center that’s currently in their repair shop as we speak. The other is a vortex red dot but no problems with it yet. Anyway my preference would be a Nikon prostaff or a Burris fullfield ii. I have both of those and never had a problem from them. I have a Leupold Vx-1 as well and side by side both of the other two scopes look just as clear and from my experience are usually cheaper.
Nikon is no longer making scopes

Nikon is no longer making scopes
That’s true but can get a lot of them on clearance right now since places are clearing out there inventory. I’ll still keep using them, one of mine is 6 years old and still rocking on.

Back