Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

School Me on Hunting In Grizz Country

I've spent 45 years bow hunting/fishing in griz country in MT, WY, ID, AK and Russia. A few close calls to learn from. I have been seriously charged and lost a nice moose to a grizz.

Clean camp......no snacks in tent, no food cooked in camp, no food stored in camp. Hang your food 10 feet up away from camp. Camp in open areas.

Bear spray....fresh and readily available...not tucked in your pack or under clothes. A spray isn't infallible but better odds than instantly killing a fast charging bear with a pistol IMO.

Think twice about hunting evenings. Don't leave a killed animal overnight. Good chance a griz will be on it in the morning and you have a good chance of killing a griz or getting injured/killed if you try to retrieve it in the morning.

Hang meat at least 10 feet up and in a spot you can glass before approaching it.

If you see fresh griz activity just leave.

Make some noise if you cant see well ahead or at night.
I have to say that one of my favorite places to hunt I am never more than 100 yds from fresh grizzly sign. Lots of elk, plenty of grizzlies. I also definitely never miss an evening hunt it’s the magic hour! I do ditch the rifle for my shortbarreled 12 ga 870 when retrieving quarters that were left overnight!

I have to say that one of my favorite places to hunt I am never more than 100 yds from fresh grizzly sign. Lots of elk, plenty of grizzlies. I also definitely never miss an evening hunt it’s the magic hour! I do ditch the rifle for my shortbarreled 12 ga 870 when retrieving quarters that were left overnight!
3” slugs.

For night time outings and depending on distance, a good weapon mounted light on a pistol or shotty could help. A remington tac13 with a light would be fun.

This fall is my first time in WY Grizz country too. We are getting four (4) llamas, bear spray and one guy is bringing a large caliber pistol.

I've read that the llamas are great at sensing predators and sound off an alarm when they smell or hear them. So far, I'm going on this until I learn I need something else.

This fall is my first time in WY Grizz country too. We are getting four (4) llamas, bear spray and one guy is bringing a large caliber pistol.

I've read that the llamas are great at sensing predators and sound off an alarm when they smell or hear them. So far, I'm going on this until I learn I need something else.
First time I heard a Llama scream, I was about 3 feet from its face and it caught me by such a surprise I just about shat my pants. Scared me more than a bear ever has.

If I was you watch Ron White on the 14ft grizzly, he has some good pointers.

I pray that that is illegal to possess while hunting
Well, for night predator hunting it is legal in WY. Now the cost, unfathomable. The application, limited in scope and geography. Sleeping knowing that he can see and range anything within half a mile at night while live streaming, priceless.

Can’t offer advice, but what I can suggest is make sure your bear spray is in the bed of your truck during the drive. I knew a guy that had a can explode in his truck. The smell was god awful.

Use the sidearm you are GOOD with. Six shots from a short barrel 44/454 etc does no good in the in the air/hair or dirt. A Glock 9mm with 15/17 rounds of 147 grain buffalo bore hard cast going where you want them is far more effective.

I ain't reading through this whole thing. Best advice I can give is don't be dumb! Don't take unnecessary risks (like walking thru thick brush). Stay in open areas best you can. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Carry spray. Carry pistol. Repeat be aware of your surroundings dont count the grass blades while walking....be aware of your surroundings. Be aware of your surroundings. Have fun.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrisw
Back