Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

School Me On Chains

Wow. Wasn’t expecting so much help so fast. Thanks everyone. I don’t have a wench but it’s on the list. Probably going to wait until next year for that. I don’t have wheel spacers but my wheels are offset a little more than stock, but not too much. Any more opinions on v-bar vs. off highway?
Find out the stock number for the chain size for your tires. Then keep hitting the Saint Vincent De Paul thrift store or others. You will find lots of chains cheap over time. In the back of my truck I keep Light V-bar and heavy off highway. Regular chains work very well, They just wear out much faster on pavement than V-bar

Make sure you get bungies or a spider tensioner to keep your chains from slipping off. I lost a chain a few years ago in the "way back " of Montana and it was an absolute mess getting it untangled from the brake and axle while laying on my back in the gumbo. Cost me a brake line. Very scary to think about when the nearest town was 80 miles away and there was no cell service.

Just got chains for my F-150 last year. Tirechains.com Got tensioners too.
V-link, American made. I doubt I'll need them but they are always behind my seat.
Have the same for Tacoma. Only used a few times ever when not required by HWY patrol. Never since moving to NM,but I have them in case.
Quality tires and using your noggin will keep you out of trouble,but it's always good to have a backup when the noggin fails.............

I doubt I'll need them but they are always behind my seat.
For sure. I've hauled my set of 4 chains around every winter for nearly 40 years now. I can count on one hand how many times they were needed but we would have been in real trouble if we had not had them.

I carry a couple different styles of chains. I have heavy duty cable style for the lower clearance on my front end. I have the Peerless Super Z8s. They are great on the front of my Tundra when it is firm and icy and need a little help turning. When it gets deep either snow or muddy, I have a set of Pewag off road chains. They are beasts! Made in the US also. I usually find that if I need the Pewags it might not be the best idea to keep going. Lol!

Just getting a set of chains isn't the whole solution. You need to understand the capabilities of your vehicle with the chains on. How to make sure they are installed correctly. And don't forget to stop and adjust or check from time to time. If you throw a chain, or wrap one around your axle, or have part of them come loose in any way, you can do some damage to your truck quickly. I have seen so many destroyed wheel wells and quarter panels from improperly installed chains.

If I know I will be needing to chain up I usually have extra heavy duty bungies/tensioners. If yours are too long, tie a knot in them. If using the typical heavy duty black rubber bungies, you can use pliers to crimp the metal S-fasteners to keep them on better. I will have a lot of bailing wire, a couple of heavy duty oval/threaded connectors for broken links, and a set of bolt cutters.

I plow driveways in the winter in deep snow. I have to always make sure the chains on my Bobcat are in good shape, but also be ready for any quick in the field repairs. I have seen so many clueless people dealing with chains too! I could go on for days about the crazy/stupid/funny/dangerous things people do in the snow with/without chains.

My advice is don't just buy them and throw them in the truck thinking you have them if you need them. Practice putting them on in a dry/flat/smooth environment so when you are out in the weather you won't be cursing and kicking quite as much. And then, once you get somewhere where you may not need them but could use them, take em out, put em on and see how your truck handles with them.

This: Nothing like being able to chain up all 4 on a Rubicon with Dif Locks!
IMG_4731.jpg

Let us access deeper into the mountains to get these:
IMG_4740.jpg
IMG_4783.JPG
IMG_4781.JPG
IMG_4778.JPG

When using chains on non-highway roads, are you always in 4lo? Reason I ask, I purchased an 08 4Runner and my 4lo doesnt to engage, apparently it's a common issue if it hasn't been used in the past. Are chains still useful if 4hi is all I have working by fall?

When using chains on non-highway roads, are you always in 4lo? Reason I ask, I purchased an 08 4Runner and my 4lo doesnt to engage, apparently it's a common issue if it hasn't been used in the past. Are chains still useful if 4hi is all I have working by fall?
You don’t have to be, but many circumstances where chains are needed would also benefit from 4Lo.

I tell people that I have a “winch” but haven’t figured out how to mount her to the bumper...my wife is not amused...actually she doesn’t care as that’s my sense of humor and she did marry me after all...😁

I run heavy ice cleat chains on my plow truck. Better traction and I feel easier on the truck. On our wheelers I run the simple chain set up without the cleats. As I feel they rip the ground particularly the swampy areas. And the chain keeps the mud or snow from balling up on the tire. Allowing the tread to work better. I've seen folks using the cable chains in muddy areas work well.
Folks have mentioned about keeping them tight with enough clearance. Would add they can put a lot of stress on your drive train. So be careful there especially with a lift. Maybe carry a couple u joints n know how to change them.
Chains can get you to a lot of places n make it really hard for others to use the trails if ruts are dug so try to tread lightly

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back