Caribou Gear

School funding

Trapshooting is one of the fastest growing sports in high schools. Hunters safety is being increasingly taught in the schools. The archery in schools program is one of the kids and teachers favorite units every year. These actions will get negative feedback from federal and state agencies, school administrators, teachers and parents that all see the positive impact that these education opportunities.

The irony of all of this is, the left generally goes after your firearms and the right goes after your public lands.

Its always going to be a fight!

Not sure if anyone has seen this
Having taught archery to 4th thru 8th graders as a volunteer "grandpa" certified as instructor by National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP), this news is appalling to me. Those students love the program and compete enthusiastically and excitedly in tournaments, as well as each time they are on the range. They quickly gain knowledge of range safety, mutual respect, weapons respect, and lifelong skills. Our school has kevlar screens which extend the length of the gym, with ten targets, and the opportunity to learn, train, and shoot even during winter months.

Why is anyone surprised by this? The current Administration is a mess. I wouldn’t be surprised if they withheld funding for Auto shop classes due to the rampant use of the word tranny.

As I understand it, Republican senators quoted in the piece voted for a law that prohibits federal education funds from being used in schools "to provide any person" with a firearm or training with firearms. The law did not include an exception for shooting sports programs.

The department tasked with implementing that law decided that they couldn't invent an exception for recreational shooting sports.

Cornyn and Tillis should be pushing to amend the law. And SCI would be serving our cause better if they were working towards an amended law instead of trying to make headlines with outrage bait.

I get congressional intent and all, but this seems like something that could have been avoided if they'd thought of these programs before voting yes (passed out of the Senate under unanimous consent).

Looks to me like Congress wrote a sloppy law. Bad outcome here, but in most circumstances I think we'd all like to see federal agencies stick to the letter of the law when it comes to firearms, etc.

While in HS, our freshman required gym semester had a 2 week period where you could pick to either just have "open gym" inside or you could pay $5 for a set of three cheap arrows and participate in an archery unit outside. I would say over 90% of us participated in the archery unit. It was unique for a lot of people since I lived in a suburb of Milwaukee and most of my classmates had never been exposed to archery equipment. The unit was not at all about hunting but about respect for the bow, its ability and the skills required to properly operate one. In other words, safety with such equipment and actually teaching it hands on. The result is actually educated students on safety rather than just "making the schools safer" by avoiding something "dangerous".

This is such BS and I couldn't be more angry about something a president is doing.

As I understand it, Republican senators quoted in the piece voted for a law that prohibits federal education funds from being used in schools "to provide any person" with a firearm or training with firearms. The law did not include an exception for shooting sports programs.

The department tasked with implementing that law decided that they couldn't invent an exception for recreational shooting sports.

Cornyn and Tillis should be pushing to amend the law. And SCI would be serving our cause better if they were working towards an amended law instead of trying to make headlines with outrage bait.

I get congressional intent and all, but this seems like something that could have been avoided if they'd thought of these programs before voting yes (passed out of the Senate under unanimous consent).

Looks to me like Congress wrote a sloppy law. Bad outcome here, but in most circumstances I think we'd all like to see federal agencies stick to the letter of the law when it comes to firearms, etc.
I typed out a thing along similar lines but this is very well said.

Write to your legislators, be civil, tell them how important these programs were to you, ask them to fix the slop in the law’s language.

While in HS, our freshman required gym semester had a 2 week period where you could pick to either just have "open gym" inside or you could pay $5 for a set of three cheap arrows and participate in an archery unit outside. I would say over 90% of us participated in the archery unit. It was unique for a lot of people since I lived in a suburb of Milwaukee and most of my classmates had never been exposed to archery equipment. The unit was not at all about hunting but about respect for the bow, its ability and the skills required to properly operate one. In other words, safety with such equipment and actually teaching it hands on. The result is actually educated students on safety rather than just "making the schools safer" by avoiding something "dangerous".

This is such BS and I couldn't be more angry about something a president is doing.
I didn't realize that these things were even taught in public school at scale. They certainly weren't in mine. I mean, we had an archery session in PE that went over some basics, but that was promptly cut short when some jackass shot the arrow vertically and it landed in the middle of the baseball diamond when maintenance was cutting the lawn.

I hope the story is missing something to provide context. Even though if the concept of teaching these things in public school seems odd to me, I see no reason to withhold funding for this reason. It is wrong and really doesn't accomplish anything meaningful. But we have the polar opposite of some groups trying to eliminate health education or banning books from schools. I can change where to direct my outrage on a moments notice. All I can say is WTF.

I think teaching things in pe such as hunters safety, archery, fishing, etc are important because they are lifelong sports. Most kids are not going to play basketball or soccer after they are done with high school so introducing them to something that they can take with and continue to do as a lifelong sport is important.

Can't get your tax dollars back unless you do what they want, again? Tax is the root cause.

Also, just homeschool already. Ain't hard.

The federal govt constitutionally is supposed to be on a very tight leash as far as funding schools. Supposed to be the states' bailiwick. I am surprised that any federal money ever was allowed for hunters safety or archery programs. It shouldn't have been. Never was when I grew up. The only fed money for our schools was Head Start and hot lunch and as I recall both programs, to make sure youth were nourished enough to not be brain damaged during formative years, encountered very stiff resistance from the far right (Democrats back in those days). I look on this as fixing existing inappropriate use of tax dollars. Better not be using any fed money for HS football or track programs either. I was a coach thirty years ago and our wrestling and basketball programs never saw a cent of federal money. We sure could have used it!

This is just more of Fox News distorting reality. Is there any evidence federal money ever was actually used to fund those programs? I would have thought the antis could EASILY have shut it down, had that been the case. It's unconstitutional. I suspect this is just some totally noneffective talking-out-the-arse stuff the present administration is blowing off to make themselves look like they're doing something to fight guns, violence, etc without actually doing anything. Fox takes the bait. But don't let them make you a sucker.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back