PEAX Equipment

Scent washes away in rain

Foggy Mountain

I bet anyone with any experience at all, even some listening to others have heard how rain washes scent away. It’s been said a lot. Enough it prob should be true, but is it?
Fellas dogs aren’t deer so it’s not an exact comparison but I’m pretty sure they smell in a similar manner. Hounds run in any damp condition or rainy weather can’t lose the track. Almost impossible. Even the worst dog’s look good and the speed at which they can carry a line increases substantially. They can process the information better. The time to find game even if it hasn’t been moving is quick and you’ll see them air scent game. I’ve watched bear dogs run to the side of a watched track yet follow step for step. Rabbits can’t shake dogs even when they back track jump sideways, run logs, etc
Not a thing is worse than super dry conditions. Go watch some scent dogs work and you’ll see what has been said unless in a torrential down pour is not correct.
I’ll also note rain is typically low pressure. That pushes scent down, right to nose level. Think about that as you consider how you do things.

Researchers at Mississippi State University found that a deer’s sense of smell, like a dog’s, can be anywhere from 500 to 1,000 times more acute than a human’s. Furthermore, scientists say that whitetails have thousands of sensitive receptors in their nostrils, which they use to sort out up to six smells at one time.

This is the reason I personally don’t buy scent hiding products. Mainly because I am one of those who breaks a sweat easily, even if I use them IMO I will overwhelm the scent hiding products. I use a natural scented soap everyday from Dr. Squatch for showers and use unscented detergent when washing cloths. I generally don’t see folks in videos putting on scent blocking products when they go out and scout and they see plenty of deer then. Then they put it on before the hunt. What about the food you bring for that all day adventure, plenty of unfamiliar smells there? There are just too many scents we bring into the field to disguise them all and who knows for sure which ones send the prey into a flight mode. Just my opinion.

I know my gsp always seems to go on a lot more false points when it's wet. And chases sent trails more in the wet or damp conditions. I think some times the rain actually makes scents stronger like the smell of pine or sage brush after a storm. Or the smell of wet dog in the truck or house.
Me personally I don't worry to much of trying to hide my scent. Just try to keep the wind in my favor and my outline broken up.

I had a doe scent track me through a cornfield into a small slough with a tree in it. It was uncanny watching her follow me step by step where I had walked in. The wind was really whipping that day and this was two hours after I had got to the stand. I'm not a scientist and did not stay at a Holiday Inn express but it was like the scent molecules did not disperse in the wind.
The only scent product I do believe in is the calming scents. I have personally seen them work. A doe was starting to pick up on me in my lofty perch. I managed to get the tube of scent out and reapply some on my pants legs without moving too much. She seemed to suddenly stop being on alert and just went about her business. Take it for what its worth but I'm a believer in that stuff. I do use scent free detergents and scent free shower products but I know they are not the be all end all.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back