SCAM ALERT!!! BUYER BEWARE

Did Steve ever get his money?
Finally. I will avoid using PayPal from now on. Total bullshit on their part. I bet thousands of dollars worth of so called "prohibited" products are bought through them every day. A bullet company was singled out because the product was obvious. mtmuley

This is happening on a lot of forums. I've talked to some other forum owners and they are having the same thing. I have asked our forum software managers to make it so people with less than 10 posts will not be able to see the classifieds and they will not be able to use PMs.

The scammers on these forums are doing a lot of it with PMs. And most of them have no post history. I have been blocking them and their IP addresses as I become aware of them.

Make it more than 10! More like 100...

Images can be faked - either photoshopped with their screenname or pulled from another posting. You can put the image in Google Images and do a search that way. Often you'll find that these images were pulled from some honest guy selling that item.
So you’re saying that maybe wasn’t really @Mudranger1’s schlong? 😂

My Africa hunting buddy is a gunsmith and does quite a lot of online gun trading. A while back when I was in the market for another receiver for my A5 he stepped in and took over the search immediately. He knows about all the scammer tricks. Has no use for PayPal. Speaking to the vendor is an essential for him. He found a very nice gun at a good price but the fella was in Quebec, had no sales history, and didn't speak English. So the deal didn't transpire. The vendor was not in the least aggressive about working a deal when we backed out so I suspect he was probably genuine. I contacted the second guy for phone number and he responded with full name and address. Turns out my buddy was working a deal with him on a takedown Savage 99 at the same time. He had prior experience with him both buying and selling. I did a funds e-transfer with no qualms. Quite a chatty fella. He may come up to hunt geese this fall. Gun arrived in the mail three days later (it's still legal to do that up here). I swapped out the receivers (cosmetic issue) and Gary resold the new gun with old receiver for more than what I paid for it.

Another tip Gary offered was never get in a hurry. He tries to get a feel for the vendor's attitude. Throw in a little hesitation and see how the vendor reacts. If he suddenly gets in a hurry to sell, be suspicious. Gary says hesitation has cost him a couple of sweet deals but has also exposed many more fraudsters.

Last edited:
If still alive Kenneth Dorr Sr must be about 80 yrs old. He was alive in 2015 when his wife Donna died at age seventy. They own(ed) an unnumbered vacant lot on Crescent St in Brewer assessed at $29K. Not the same property as the above mailing address ... which is not much more than a one-room shack. Buy from someone who lives like that and obviously doesn't have anything and never did (except possibly an overly assessed empty city lot full of weeds), expect a possibility you'll get a bum deal.

Edit: Apparently the undated property assessment list online for Dorr's vacant lot is very old news. A google for that very short street shows all lots on both sides developed with large fairly new homes.

This research took about a half hour's time ... with a long interruption for my grandson's eighth birthday party.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20210529-121054_Chrome.jpg

Heres another one for ya

I'm thinking these have to be automated

I want to tell all my fellow hunters of a recent experience I had online. Let me preface that I am in no way bashing this forum or any other.
A couple of weeks ago I posted on Hunt Talk that I was looking to buy a very specific item. Within a few days I received a direct message from a new member of HT (first clue)(Ericvgrath) that they knew of a guy who had what I was looking for and I could contact them at a specific email address.
I contacted this person via email and they sent me pictures of exactly what I wanted. We exchanged a number of emails and came to an agreement. I agreed to send him payment via PayPal. His only stipulation was I had to send the money using "Friends and Family",(2nd Clue) not "Goods and Services". I didn't know this guy and I was uncomfortable with the deal so I backed out.

Let's fast forward a week or so. I get another PM from again a new member of HT(Dennis47). He tells me he has exactly what I am looking for, this time is asking $150 more. Like before he sent me pics of what he had. Holy Crap, wouldn't you know it they were the exact same pictures the first guy sent. Now I know both are SCAMS.

Then a couple of days ago I get another PM from another new guy, he says he has the exact item I want. Again I have him send me pics and the price. This time I get pics of a totally different item, not the same item pictured before. Now I am thinking there is a chance this might happen. We exchange a number of emails and I feel pretty comfortable and decide to pull the trigger.
His next email says...please use PayPal "Friends and Family".....RED FLAG!!!!

If you send funds using "Friends and Family" you are telling PP that you know this person and trust them. There is no payment protection. If you check "Goods and Services" the seller pays an extra fee for PP to guarantee the transaction.

If you use PayPal to buy something online, make sure to click "Goods and Services" or PP will not protect you from scammers.

Buyers and Sellers Beware!!!!
Good info!

I agree, 100 posts to p.m. and classifieds.
I have bought a few things on here all the sellers had 100+ posts and all were fantastic transactions.

I always punch those scammer's phone numbers into websites for extended car warranties and health insurance companies.

I do it to the people that put signs on street corners saying, "Make $1,000/wk from home."

Those Call Centers will blow those guys' phones up!

I want to tell all my fellow hunters of a recent experience I had online. Let me preface that I am in no way bashing this forum or any other.
A couple of weeks ago I posted on Hunt Talk that I was looking to buy a very specific item. Within a few days I received a direct message from a new member of HT (first clue)(Ericvgrath) that they knew of a guy who had what I was looking for and I could contact them at a specific email address.
I contacted this person via email and they sent me pictures of exactly what I wanted. We exchanged a number of emails and came to an agreement. I agreed to send him payment via PayPal. His only stipulation was I had to send the money using "Friends and Family",(2nd Clue) not "Goods and Services". I didn't know this guy and I was uncomfortable with the deal so I backed out.

Let's fast forward a week or so. I get another PM from again a new member of HT(Dennis47). He tells me he has exactly what I am looking for, this time is asking $150 more. Like before he sent me pics of what he had. Holy Crap, wouldn't you know it they were the exact same pictures the first guy sent. Now I know both are SCAMS.

Then a couple of days ago I get another PM from another new guy, he says he has the exact item I want. Again I have him send me pics and the price. This time I get pics of a totally different item, not the same item pictured before. Now I am thinking there is a chance this might happen. We exchange a number of emails and I feel pretty comfortable and decide to pull the trigger.
His next email says...please use PayPal "Friends and Family".....RED FLAG!!!!

If you send funds using "Friends and Family" you are telling PP that you know this person and trust them. There is no payment protection. If you check "Goods and Services" the seller pays an extra fee for PP to guarantee the transaction.

If you use PayPal to buy something online, make sure to click "Goods and Services" or PP will not protect you from scammers.

Buyers and Sellers Beware!!!!
Thats why I dont buy anything on forums.
But the same scam can happen too sellers,if the buyer pays by goods and services,they can turn around and say the seller never sent the item,and then have paypal refund their money back.
Alsp if paypal finds out you used them for firearm sales or purchase,they will cancel your account.

I'm part of a Canadian forum where we do buy and sell (best place to buy and sell for Canucks). Buyers and sellers get a trader rating and you can see all Positive, Negative and Neutral feedbacks. It's the only place I will send money upfront to someone and only if they have a good trader rating. I prefer sending money to a guy with 1000+ posts, who's been a member for a few year and has a 30+ positive trader ratings. At the end of the day, that person built their profile up to that point and will not ruin it for a few hundos. Whenever I'm selling something and the buyer is iffy about sending me the money upfront before I ship I normally tell them that I'm not going to ruin my profile and rating that I've been building for the past 13 years, for a 200$ Cooey model 64...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back