Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

SCAM ALERT!!! BUYER BEWARE

maxracx

I want to tell all my fellow hunters of a recent experience I had online. Let me preface that I am in no way bashing this forum or any other.
A couple of weeks ago I posted on Hunt Talk that I was looking to buy a very specific item. Within a few days I received a direct message from a new member of HT (first clue)(Ericvgrath) that they knew of a guy who had what I was looking for and I could contact them at a specific email address.
I contacted this person via email and they sent me pictures of exactly what I wanted. We exchanged a number of emails and came to an agreement. I agreed to send him payment via PayPal. His only stipulation was I had to send the money using "Friends and Family",(2nd Clue) not "Goods and Services". I didn't know this guy and I was uncomfortable with the deal so I backed out.

Let's fast forward a week or so. I get another PM from again a new member of HT(Dennis47). He tells me he has exactly what I am looking for, this time is asking $150 more. Like before he sent me pics of what he had. Holy Crap, wouldn't you know it they were the exact same pictures the first guy sent. Now I know both are SCAMS.

Then a couple of days ago I get another PM from another new guy, he says he has the exact item I want. Again I have him send me pics and the price. This time I get pics of a totally different item, not the same item pictured before. Now I am thinking there is a chance this might happen. We exchange a number of emails and I feel pretty comfortable and decide to pull the trigger.
His next email says...please use PayPal "Friends and Family".....RED FLAG!!!!

If you send funds using "Friends and Family" you are telling PP that you know this person and trust them. There is no payment protection. If you check "Goods and Services" the seller pays an extra fee for PP to guarantee the transaction.

If you use PayPal to buy something online, make sure to click "Goods and Services" or PP will not protect you from scammers.

Buyers and Sellers Beware!!!!

I've been through this and hate these dirtbags.

Here's my advice for EVERYONE:

• WTB posts are a magnet for these dirtbags - be VERY careful when posting "Looking for X"
  • New members are a redflag. Even members who've been around a few months it's important to look at their posts and feedback. Sometimes these are just fluff to post #s
  • Paypal friends and family/Zelle/Venmo all leave you at risk. Pay Goods and Services and if they complain about the fee then you as the buyer can cover the 3%.
  • They'll often say contact my buddy or brother at their email address (this is to get the communication off the forum and away from mods).
  • Images can be faked - either photoshopped with their screenname or pulled from another posting. You can put the image in Google Images and do a search that way. Often you'll find that these images were pulled from some honest guy selling that item.
  • The "seller" DOES NOT ACTUALLY HAVE THE ITEM but has done enough research and pulled pictures that they can tell a pretty convincing story.
  • Ask to call them - either an accent will give them away or they won't actually know diddlysquat about the item or hunting and you can see through their BS story

If you use regular PayPal, you likely aren't protected either, as their policy forbids firearms, ammo, and components; guessing this was for the BLR in .257.

What is PayPal’s policy on transactions that involve firearms?​

PayPal does not allow members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working condition or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition.
Example, using PayPal, you can not buy or sell:
  • A firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and or handguns, whether it is going to be used for sport and recreation, purchased for your gun collection, or curio or relic firearms.
  • Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify a gun so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items that fall into this category.
  • Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

If you use regular PayPal, you likely aren't protected either, as their policy forbids firearms, ammo, and components; guessing this was for the BLR in .257.

PayPal does not allow members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working condition or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition.
  • A firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and or handguns, whether it is going to be used for sport and recreation, purchased for your gun collection, or curio or relic firearms.
  • Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify a gun so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items that fall into this category.
  • Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.
Yes, PP is anti-2A. So in your item description do not put anything related to things that go bang. You purchased "sporting goods", which should be covered...

I think that is skating on thin ice, but to each his own. I don't have an account dt anti-2A.
Maybe. But the seller (scammer) would have to tell PP he sold something against their policy and is now also being accused of being a scammer. I would think these dirtbags would instead just disappear

I use PP and pay through it with my credit card for two layers of protection. Not foolproof & both PP and the banks dislike us...

This is happening on a lot of forums. I've talked to some other forum owners and they are having the same thing. I have asked our forum software managers to make it so people with less than 10 posts will not be able to see the classifieds and they will not be able to use PMs.

The scammers on these forums are doing a lot of it with PMs. And most of them have no post history. I have been blocking them and their IP addresses as I become aware of them.

It was, and I was not aware of that. Thank you

This is happening on a lot of forums. I've talked to some other forum owners and they are having the same thing. I have asked our forum software managers to make it so people with less than 10 posts will not be able to see the classifieds and they will not be able to use PMs.

The scammers on these forums are doing a lot of it with PMs. And most of them have no post history. I have been blocking them and their IP addresses as I become aware of them.
Big Fin, I love your forum and the way it brings like minded people together. I have bought and sold items on other sites for years with no issue. I am not saying this is a problem on just HT because like you said it is happening all over. It just pisses me off that these scum bags take advantage of all of us. As much as I hate to suggest it, is there a way to charge a fee to be part of the Classified section?? Question...could you offer exclusive discounts, giveaways', and free classifieds to "paying" members of HT? ** Only paying members have access to see or respond to classified ads. Non-payers could still see most of the regular content but those who are interested have to pony up a small annual fee to be a "HUNT TALK INSIDER".
I would pay $25 per year to be a member, I would save that much on my first exclusive product purchase.
Thanks for reading my post and Thank you for all you do for conservation. Hopefully someday I will meet you in person and thank you in person.

Thanks for the heads up. I posted a WTB ad and got took... Last one of those I'll be posting.

Do not send money to the following:
Kenneth Dorr
65 South Brewer Drive
Brewer, ME 04412

Maybe. But the seller (scammer) would have to tell PP he sold something against their policy and is now also being accused of being a scammer. I would think these dirtbags would instead just disappear

I use PP and pay through it with my credit card for two layers of protection. Not foolproof & both PP and the banks dislike us...
It isn't that simple, PayPal has taken funds and not returned them for things that "might" be shooting related. Buyer beware for anything hunting related using papal. Check around on hunting forums and you can find lots of PayPal horror stories.

Dennis47 contacted me with exactly the gun I was looking for. I already know where this is going lol

I'm a bit disheartened to hear about this. I have bought, sold and traded stuff with folks here and haven't had an issue....

Always good experiences here as well. What has been explained here is really good info and I’m very thankful you guys shared it.

Randy rn. Thanks for fighting the good fight sir

Attachments

• BackLoneGalapagoshawk-max-1mb.gif
    BackLoneGalapagoshawk-max-1mb.gif
    737.3 KB · Views: 18
It isn't that simple, PayPal has taken funds and not returned them for things that "might" be shooting related. Buyer beware for anything hunting related using papal. Check around on hunting forums and you can find lots of PayPal horror stories.
Hammer bullets has a story about PayPal. mtmuley

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back