20 gallons of Fla. bay scallops

Attachments

• scallop1.jpg
    scallop1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 309
  • Scallops.jpg
    Scallops.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 314
we were north of Homassassa out of horseshoe bch. ran north towards steinhatchee to pepperfish key, it is a great time as you know.....trout/redfishing in the early morning and scallops in the heat of the day....good times!

So you don't have to mess with those stinky old things, ice them down real good and overnight them up here. I'll reimburse you the gear and freight and throw in some beer money. Maybe I can trade you some Blue Point arsters. (sic)

Tarheel, throw in some blue crab and you got a deal :D got a soft spot for backfin! NC has by far the best crab cakes in the country, trust me I've looked

Bowhuntrben, Reds were tough but trout were plentiful we caught 12 trout that were between 15-17in (nothing over 20") lots of smaller trout and 2 small reds. "go get you some scallops" head south out of steinhatchee to pepperfish keys, west side of little grassy island

scallop seqson has been extended this year by two weeks closes Sept. 24, limit is 2 gallons (still in shell) per person or 10 gallons per vessel per day. we limited both days.

by far a one of the most enjoyable ways to spend hot summer days in Fla. and it is way too easy for anyone to do, all you need is a jon boat with a kicker and your can reach the scallop grounds. we typically find them by snokeling in 2'-6' of water on the grass flats as the tide receeds they become more visible and easier to find.

now time to focus on the Aug. sportsmans mini lobster season in the Keys!

Tarheel, throw in some blue crab and you got a deal :D got a soft spot for backfin! NC has by far the best crab cakes in the country, trust me I've looked

And Maryland thinks they're the going thing. I like the soft shells myself, fried up crunchy. You should try my clam cakes.....sinful!

Tarheel, what time is dinner? :D

Unfortunately I'm 220 miles from the nearest point on our coast, and the only seafood I have left is catfish, although I can make a righteous meal out of that, some Autryville fish breading, some yellow corn meal for the hushpuppies, finely chopped cole slaw and sweet tea.

Last edited:
Are they easy to see? Or are they like fresh water clams and only have the open edge sticking out of the sand?

Schmalts,
at high tide they tend to bury up in the grass (grass is typically about 24"-30" deep) as the tide goes out and when there is about 2-3' above the grass they really start to stand out and are pretty easy to see! the water gets clearer as the tide goes out! this year the magic time was about 2:00 in the afternoon where we had perfect depth and clarity........nothing like clams! much easier.

scallops have a dark and a light side and i have no scienticfic proof but it seems that at high tide they are dark side up are sitting edge side up later in the day they seem to flip and turn light side up making them much easier to see.

some photos

Attachments

• Bay%20Scallop_1.jpg
    Bay%20Scallop_1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Seagrass_Scallop2.jpg
    Seagrass_Scallop2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 122
Awesome update DKO. I am hoping the fishing heats up a bit in the next couple of weeks. I was there last year for scallop opener, and it was tough catching any fish. We got a couple of small reds last year and some trout, but we had to work for them. We also caught a spanish mackeral and a bluefish. Tarpon were all over last year, but we didn't manage to hook into one. We did really well on the scallops though.
I know a crazy guy down there that will go swimming in the channels for scallops! He does really well and can get their limit fast with big muscles, but I will stick to the shallows...at least there are fewer big sharks there :)
Whenever we find the scallops, it seems they are almost entirely dark side up. Depending on the type of grass you are looking in, they can be tough or easy to see. Some of the rolling grass, they sit right up on top. Often times we will try to locate a spot by going really slow in the boat and looking in. When you are in the long grass, this doesn't always work very well. I have never thought about associating how they sit with the stage of the tide. I will have to pay more attention this year!
Some of them also have orange or yellow shells. I have heard approximately 1 in 500 is orange, but I don't know. Gotta love finding one orange side up!

bowhuntrben
obviously not your first rodeo, enjoy and I wish you the best of luck please come back and give us and update on your trip!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back