SB 442 - Habitat and Access

Incorrect. We went into this with a win-win. Even if GG gets his way on 442, we were able to play enough offense that we keep status quo which was HB 701 from the 2021 session which directs a large portion of the dope dough to Habitat Montana.
Can the habitat Montana money be spent without a budget appropriation?

No, unfortunately, they voted for him because of the disaster that the national D party has become, where it seems the major initiatives are making poor people pay more for food, gasoline, heating, and for some odd reason I can't fathom talking to little kids talk about sex. And, oh yeah, shutting down coal in Africa and killing a bunch of poor black folks, and enslaving their kids to dig for minerals for EVs.

And I have made lots of money from Biden's policies.

Get some reasonable Ds and we will see a different outcome.
How much does the governor impact federal policy?

Edit: sorry. I don't mean to derail the thread. I just want to make sure people know the difference between local (state and county politics) and federal politics.

How much does the governor impact federal policy?

Edit: sorry. I don't mean to derail the thread. I just want to make sure people know the difference between local (state and county politics) and federal politics.
See CA, IL, NY for the answer.

Can the habitat Montana money be spent without a budget appropriation?
This is the question. It has an appropriation that was set with HB701 in 2021. There were multiple bills that tried to undo 701 including this bill until it was amended. Since none of the bills became law, the thought (at least mine and Shaafs) is that HB701 remains in tact and thus keeps the funding for Habitat Montana. Waiting for @Ben Lamb to chime in but I'm guessing he's still in legislative recovery mode.

This is the question. It has an appropriation that was set with HB701 in 2021. There were multiple bills that tried to undo 701 including this bill until it was amended. Since none of the bills became law, the thought (at least mine and Shaafs) is that HB701 remains in tact and thus keeps the funding for Habitat Montana. Waiting for @Ben Lamb to chime in but I'm guessing he's still in legislative recovery mode.
I believe the current bill that set the appropriation for SB 442 was HB 868.

The governor knows that but it doesn’t fit his talking points.

HB 5 sets the appropriation for Habitat MT and it only appropriated the license dollar portion. That means that the fuds from marijuana revenue is still deposited in the HM account, but it cannot be spent until the legislature authorizes it.

HB 868 was the coordinating bill for section C of the budget, which is the natural resources section, and that provided an appropriation for the whole of SB 442.

Regardless of the 20% being kept for Habitat, the veto undermines the significant gains in tools to manage existing wildlife habitat, invest in tribal wildlife programs and help improve private land management practices. The gains in SB 442 are far greater than just creating a funding stream for Habitat Montana. So we're all working to get the policy gains into law, rather than accept the veto.

Got this email from Montana Wildlife Fed. People still working hard to get this through. Let them know it is appreciated.

Governor Greg Gianforte's decision to veto SB 442 is very disappointing. Vetoing it ignores the will of over 130 legislators, numerous counties, farmers, ranchers, veteran groups, conservation groups, and thousands of other Montanans who supported SB 442.

Gov. Gianforte's veto has triggered a deadline for the Secretary of State to send a poll to the legislators to determine if there are enough votes to override the veto. The deadline for this poll is Tuesday, May 9. Gov. Gianforte is claiming that he signed the veto before the Senate adjourned, so the poll doesn’t need to be sent. However, the Senators were not aware of this and are reserving their constitutional right to vote by mail to override the Governor’s veto.
We need your help to sign this petition and show support for SB 442 to go through the proper legislative process: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...vIuDyQ7ieqgE6_4YoB_x7F4Q/viewform?usp=sf_link

Montana Wildlife Federation and our partners will deliver a petition to the Secretary of State on Monday, May 8.

Thanks for the link. It only takes a minute or so to add your name to the petition. Mine is added.

Any word on how this is proceeding?

That fella is something else.

“Fish, Wildlife and Parks Deputy Director Dustin Temple said that $5 million in marijuana tax revenue that went toward Habitat Montana was used to acquire the Big Snowy Mountains Wildlife Management Area, which opened Monday at a ceremony kicked off by Gianforte.

“Not only are we opening access for hunters to pristine wildlife habitat, but also, we’re keeping the land available for cattle grazing to keep ranchers on the landscape. This is a win-win for Montana,” Gianforte said.”

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back