Caribou Gear

SB 312 - eliminating outfitter set asides.

How did the diy hunters numbers get bumped up? The entirety of the NR resident pool would be reduced by 6%. Is there some idea that everyone that applied in the outfitter pool previously will just give up and go away?
If I am understanding your position, the assumption is virtually 100% of current outfitter pool applicants are nonresident? Does anyone know whether that is true?

If I am understanding your position, the assumption is virtually 100% of current outfitter pool applicants are nonresident? Does anyone know whether that is true?
Yes it is, that is the NR outfitter pool. Currently they are allotted 10% of the tags, non guided non residents are allotted 6% and residents are allotted 84%.

Pretty sure residents can also apply in the outfitter pool. Probably doesn’t happen often but i don’t think outfitter pool is for nonresidents exclusively.

Yes it is, that is the NR outfitter pool. Currently they are allotted 10% of the tags, non guided non residents are allotted 6% and residents are allotted 84%.
I don't mean to be nitpicky but the outfitter pool, in fact, is not for nonresidents only but it could, in reality, be utilized overwhelmingly by nonresidents. I don't know that I have ever seen the outfitter applicant NR/R breakdown but I am curious.

I guess I can't see what the benefit would be for a resident to limit themselves to such a small percentage of the draw would be.

They'll likely buy landowner tags. There was a reason to use an outfitter in the first place (guaranteed access).
We went in the outfitter draw last year for a semi-guided elk hunt just for the draw odds bump. There's a lot of guys that do that instead of the general pool. I agree some will buy tags but most of them will at least try and draw a tag first. It will be interesting to see what the odds do if it passes.

I guess I can't see what the benefit would be for a resident to limit themselves to such a small percentage of the draw would be.
Here’s some odds for Mule deer, Elk and Antelope in that order, for the last three years.

In some cases, you’ll see the outfitter pool has much better odds than Residents.

2A8BF83D-32E5-4B0E-B544-63412C95A58A.jpeg

Attachments

• D65277F1-8950-4587-9A61-5A85F4B55D59.jpeg
    D65277F1-8950-4587-9A61-5A85F4B55D59.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • 83794C37-FEE0-4C32-B335-F919146D6063.jpeg
    83794C37-FEE0-4C32-B335-F919146D6063.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 10
Maybe I'm mistaken but I believe if you cant afford those things you should like this change. The DIY hunters odds just got bumped up or am I missing something?
I'm not so sure about this when you factor all the guided draw guys jumping into the 10%. I think odds go down even more probably imo.

I guess I don't understand the math well enough to get how that works out. So is there some large contingent of residents that are applying in the outfitter pool?

NM really wants to fix something they need to fix the landowner tags! NONE should be unit wide! They should be private land only, immediate family! Rest of tags should go in draw pools, no more scalping tags. All tags for public land or public use should be advertised and transparent. This 6% reduction in tags is only going to increase demand and ultimately cost of those landowner tags as well as decreasing draw odds for those of us who cant afford to "buy" a tag.

NM really wants to fix something they need to fix the landowner tags! NONE should be unit wide! They should be private land only, immediate family! Rest of tags should go in draw pools, no more scalping tags. All tags for public land or public use should be advertised and transparent. This 6% reduction in tags is only going to increase demand and ultimately cost of those landowner tags as well as decreasing draw odds for those of us who cant afford to "buy" a tag.
The EPLUS program opens up about 600,000 acres of private ground and one could only guess the landlocked public it opens up. It is a pretty well run program now. Maps available online, properties are all looked at under a microscope. A huge benefit to the average DIY hunter.

I guess I don't understand the math well enough to get how that works out. So is there some large contingent of residents that are applying in the outfitter pool?
Not sure of the total numbers but I know there are a few residents that apply in those units where the percentages favor the outfitters pool.

If passed, this would be a win for the New Mexico resident hunter and a slight loss to the commercialization of wildlife industry. Retaining the landowner tags has more pluses than minuses as some of those landowners have been good stewards for wildlife.
I agree, might be time to apply in New Mexico again!

Got an email from a NM outfitter today regarding SB-312 with the opening line:

“Our hunting industry is under attack from anti hunters and residents who don't like nonresident hunting and outfitters.”

I guess that’s one way to try to frame the issue, but come on. 🤦🏻‍♂️
I think I'm on same list. I attached as pics, didnt know how else to attach. My first thoughts were that NR odds are already low. Only really affects the guys playing only in the NR pool. And I agree that guys who are using outfitter pool will probably just buy a landowner tag, if that doesnt get drastically changed. I also agree that landowner tags showed only be on private land and not UW. I thought it kinda funny that they acknowledge how much NR hunting brings to the economy and NR should give more to help out.

My second thought is maybe this is good in the long run for NR in NM(and Montana contemplating, WY same boat-meaning guide needed in wilderness/NR quota). NR lose out for a few years with less tags. Maybe after a few years, the state will see that they need to up the NR tag amounts for the additional revenue. As a resident its easy to think that less non residents is a good thing, but the local businesses will have a different view point. I assume the businesses complaining about a decrease in revenue will have more of an affect in the long run and will persuade the govt to make changes in NR hunting opportunity. That may be just wishful thinking.

Attachments

• sb 312.jpg
    sb 312.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 16
  • nm.png
    nm.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 14
If your existence is dependent not upon the quality of the experience and service you offer, but upon legislation making you necessary or appealing based upon a secondary benefit, you’ve proved yourself to be expendable in a market economy. If what you offer is valuable and needed, you’ll get business. If not, you won’t.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back