MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Save money on llama rentals

Anyone interested in a Spring 2023 Llama shed hunting trip? My wife and 4 year old would love this. Come on @wllm , bring that pup along to sniff out them antlers...

Would love to try Beau's lamas this fall but the prices seem crazy. To rent 2 lamas with trailer & stock along with the one-time fee for the pre rental training clinic you're looking at $3,025 for a 10-day hunt. Is that right or am i looking at something wrong?

Would love to try Beau's lamas this fall but the prices seem crazy. To rent 2 lamas with trailer & stock along with the one-time fee for the pre rental training clinic you're looking at $3,025 for a 10-day hunt. Is that right or am i looking at something wrong?
Beau's prices are pretty competitive in my experience, compared to other llama rental ops.

They really are competitive if you compare them to horse packing, typically horse transporters will only do drop camps. It's pretty hard to find someone that will just pack you out. Also a lot of drop camp setups have specific locations they drop hunters, so you can't have them place you in some random drainage + once your there your there, they are coming back to that spot so you can't move. A drop camp for 2 dudes is going to be in the $4000-6000 range.

The benefit to llamas is the ability to have flexibility/self sufficiency in the field.

Beau's prices are pretty competitive in my experience, compared to other llama rental ops.

They really are competitive if you compare them to horse packing, typically horse transporters will only do drop camps. It's pretty hard to find someone that will just pack you out. Also a lot of drop camp setups have specific locations they drop hunters, so you can't have them place you in some random drainage + once your there your there, they are coming back to that spot so you can't move. A drop camp for 2 dudes is going to be in the $4000-6000 range.

The benefit to llamas is the ability to have flexibility/self sufficiency in the field.
Sorry if it came across as if i was trashing Beau as this was not my intention. I have literally never looked at any prices of other lama operations or drop camps. Just saw the sale flyer that randy posted and figured I'd check out the pricing & it caught me by Suprise that people were willing pay that much for the service.

Sorry if it came across as if i was trashing Beau as this was not my intention. I have literally never looked at any prices of other lama operations or drop camps. Just saw the sale flyer that randy posted and figured I'd check out the pricing & it caught me by Suprise that people were willing pay that much for the service.
Didn't take it that way at all, but was just providing some context since I've done the llama thing twice myself.

I guess one other pro in the llama column is units/areas. Transporters in many states are limited to a specific operational area on public lands. The person with the permit to your preferred unit might only do fully guided horse trips and the person who will do packing only can't operate in that area, can only help you out if your in X drainage.

Llama rentals aren't bound by those rules, you can take them anywhere the outfitter is comfortable with you taking his stock.

I was sticker shocked also at first, I like the flexibility of llamas, carrying 80 lbs of supplies per unit, goats are cool also but can only do 40lbs per unit @$50 per day
a DIY hunt into a honey hole llamas or goats are the bomb compare to hiring a horse wrangle operation

I found llamas to be Da Bomb for last years elk bowhunt for 20+ days.Think I had a fair amount of llama discussion in my hunt writeup.

Definitely will do a trip like that again. Like as soon as I do not draw two moose tags the same year. grin. We picked our spot 7 miles into wilderness and llamas got us in and out in one trip with a very heavy elk.

We hunted several spots over the monthlong season and moving the llamas in back of my or my brothers pickup was easy.

To save $$, build a livestock rack out of 2x4s in back of your truck. We rented a metal rack from the llama vendor that slides into a pickup and wont do that again as it was too costly in in retrospect, and did not fit well, requiring some serious shimming, etc. Another customer we saw had built one out of 2x4s that looked perfect.

We only had two llamas, shoulda rented 3. prices similar the Beau and worth every penny as just having the llamas for a month was a cool experience to have aside from what they do for you. Did not use beau because there was a vendor located edge of our hunt unit in Colo.

FD311923-C0B4-4707-9E0C-1FAC76C15E6A.jpeg

Last edited:
All outfits run their operation differently, shop around you may find wide variations in pricing of the various components making up a rental. Or you can make some individual adjustments at you own short term expense for long term gain, like making a custom rack for your pick-up bed, for instance. Some dumpster lumber and deck screws... aint hard. hell you may even find it is handy for hauling other bulky stuff, such as a huge spread of goose decoys.45BE1579-2FDE-4E94-9BF0-A66595ED044D.jpeg

How did you feel they in the steep stuff off the trail while navigating deadfall?

This is about the same price, or more than leasing 4 horses, for an entire month, including round trip delivery to your basecamp/trailhead, with tack and two weeks of certified hay & grain.

How did you feel they in the steep stuff off the trail while navigating deadfall?
About the same as any animal does... poorly Ever watch undisturbed elk do it? Takes them an hour to get 200 yards and they walk/jump 800 yards to do it. And they aint wearing no panniers.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back