Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Savage Lightweight Hunter

M

MN Public Hunter

I was at Gander Mountain the other day and I picked one of these up and WOW, so light I could not believe it. They have it for $815 and I was wondering if that seems like a decent price. I could have sworn I saw it on a cabelas link for $699,95, but can't find it again. The one I looked at was the 308.

Anyone have one of these and have input

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH

Last edited:
Good choice. Not much you won't be able to do with that thing.

I now see they don't have the 6.5-284 in the lightweight, but for some mysterious reason they have the 6.5 Creedmore and the 260 Rem; which are basically twins.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but before I buy it I was hoping some people who have them would comment on maybe the pros and cons they have had. I know it's the lightest rifle I have ever had in my hands, but it being a 308 and light is it uncontrollable and hard to keep accurate, stuff like that.

Was also wondering if that is the general price as well. Seems linda high, but then again, I have seen many others for more money.

Seems Savage isn't much of a bargain anymore. mtmuley

I agree, it's not cheap that's for sure, I could get a heavier gun for about $500-$700. Kinda why I want to hear why I would pay $800+ for this gun. I will tell you, once you pick it up and feel how balanced it is, and how even just 1 lb on a poorly balanced gun is you might be willing to spend the cash.

The one thing is I want to buy 1 gun to do everything, I don't need 3+ guns like some of these other people I know and stuff I see in this forum. I have seen many guns that are very accurate way out weigh like 9+ lbs, Tha'ts not for me and I hunt hard, I will walk and walk and walk and the lighter the gun the better. One reason I seem to be talking myself into this gun or one like it at least. :)

I did see the other "light weight" guns as well and this one was the lightest by far and the best balanced it seemed in my hands.

I think that you will be happy with it. I've purchased two different Savage 11 Lady Hunters (For my wife and daughter) in the last two years. 6.5 Creedmoor and 243 win. Very impressed with both rifles. Savage makes a good rifle.

I have the Savage Lightweight Hunter (LWH) in 260 REM. It is a very nice hunting rifle; well balanced, good shooting, enjoyable to carry & shoot and it is LIGHT. The barrel is very light as well, so it's not as accurate as some heavier guns, but a good accurate hunting rifle. I'm one of those guys that has to have 3+ guns. I have another 260 REM on a Savage Varminter action and custom barrel, the LWH is no where near as accurate, but no where near as heavy either. I have the heavy 260 so I can go to shooting competitions with my son, he will carry a heavy/accurate rifle to hunt with, but I've gotten to the point where comfortable carry is too important. There are other good light rifles as well, pick the one that 'fits' you, but from my experiences the Savage LWH is a good choice. I don't remember what I paid, but that price at Gander's seems on the high side. Good luck.

Back