Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Savage Impulse

• Thread starter Guest member 25165
  • Start date
More power to them for innovating. I'm sure it will grow on me, in time. It's got European routes, so it would be cool if they added some Euro-style wooden stocks. Something elegant with a schnabel fore end.

It'll be interesting to see how they work out. Pretty cool!

Intriguing, but ill need to see 2nd / 3rd gen options and reports to make me open my wallet. I already have multiple savage rifles that are flat out deadly. Theyll need to show me that these are even better. I dont think they can. When i have 3 big game capable savage guns that are half moa or better with box ammo, and featherweight to boot, whats the advantage of the straight pull?, my guns are going to flat out kill the first shot. If they dont, something is #@)(*%* that a follow up shot 1/2 second faster wont cure.

Still, kinda interesting

Intriguing, but ill need to see 2nd / 3rd gen options and reports to make me open my wallet. I already have multiple savage rifles that are flat out deadly. Theyll need to show me that these are even better. I dont think they can. When i have 3 big game capable savage guns that are half moa or better with box ammo, and featherweight to boot, whats the advantage of the straight pull?, my guns are going to flat out kill the first shot. If they dont, something is #@)(*%* that a follow up shot 1/2 second faster wont cure.

Still, kinda interesting
Have you shot the Axis rifles? Amazing for the price. We have 4 of them and all shoot under an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo. The .243’s consistently shoot at 3/4 inch with federal trophy copper. And as I’ve said before, I don’t bench shoot rifles much these days. They’re capable of better.

Have you shot the Axis rifles? Amazing for the price. We have 4 of them and all shoot under an inch at 100 yards with factory ammo. The .243’s consistently shoot at 3/4 inch with federal trophy copper. And as I’ve said before, I don’t bench shoot rifles much these days. They’re capable of better.
Never shot an axis, but i have 2 model 16 lightweight hunters that i can shoot 1/2" groups with at 100 yards on a bad day after too much coffee. Kinda makes a guy not worried about getting a followup shot a split second faster, when you know the first shot will take care of business.

The Impulse is interesting for sure, I hope it works out for them, but my only problem is how heavy it is, and which caliber would I choose if I were to buy one.

Why? If you shoot man size calibers like the 300WM ( what it comes in) the cycle time is irrelevant. You cant hold on target after the shot anyways. It wont make you shoot any faster. You still need to relocate your target. Maybe on a 6.5 I GUESS or rounds like a.223. And if cycle times matter, then why not shoot a Browning BAR?

I have a 2 Axis 2s' myself. 7mm-08 shoots lights out with GMX 139s. The 243, I am still looking for what works in it. Tried Federal Trophy Copper but the groups were very inconsistent. It is my step daughters shooter and she is starting her career and has a boyfriend so not getting that rifle out much at the moment. I wanted to try to stick with non-lead but may try some inexpensive Fusion/American Whitetail when I see it back in stock just to see if I can get some decent grouping.

As far as the Savage Impulse, neat rifle but as was commented on earlier, I would like to see a lighter version before I make that investment if I ever do. If I feel fast follow up shots are required I would go semi-auto or even pump. Beside bolt cycling with practice can be done fairly quickly and efficiently if needed. I guess I like the idea that the bolt is locked down in place.

It is interesting.
I'm still interested in how you change the barrel.

As commented on another forum, would be nice to have a better trigger.

Been thinking about this gun myself, but my 110 High Country in .300 Win Mag is too heavy to keep solid in my tripod/saddle setup while hunting out west and it's about the same weight as this. I love this gun from a recoil perspective, but if I have a hard time holding it steady on an animal at 400+ yards, it doesn't do me much good.

I have a 2 Axis 2s' myself. 7mm-08 shoots lights out with GMX 139s. The 243, I am still looking for what works in it. Tried Federal Trophy Copper but the groups were very inconsistent. It is my step daughters shooter and she is starting her career and has a boyfriend so not getting that rifle out much at the moment. I wanted to try to stick with non-lead but may try some inexpensive Fusion/American Whitetail when I see it back in stock just to see if I can get some decent grouping.

As far as the Savage Impulse, neat rifle but as was commented on earlier, I would like to see a lighter version before I make that investment if I ever do. If I feel fast follow up shots are required I would go semi-auto or even pump. Beside bolt cycling with practice can be done fairly quickly and efficiently if needed. I guess I like the idea that the bolt is locked down in place.
Mine also shoot federal blue box 100 grain very well. And Winchester deer season XP’s but they blow up on any bone. Havnt tried the Hornady whitetail but the 129s shoot great in my Tikka 6.5 creed.

I will be ordering a 308 Predator model. Here in Oz normal shooters can’t have semi auto rifles, so the faster I can throw lead at hogs the more go on the ground right :D
While there’s lead in the air there’s hope. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back