Caribou Gear Tarp

Savage B-Mag 17 WSM

35whelen

Does anyone shot or hunt with the 17 WSM. I have been looking at the cartridge looks like a great round but wasn't sure if it would be short lived kinda like the 17 HM2

Havent got one yet, the ammo is still hard to find where I'm at(NW montana) so until I can pick up ammo its not going to be my next rifle.

Havent got one yet, the ammo is still hard to find where I'm at(NW montana) so until I can pick up ammo its not going to be my next rifle.

I have seen the ammo at two stores one box at each store, but never seen the gun.

I have been waiting for a better quality rifle. Savage make some nice accurate rifles but the 17wsm that I have seen were in a cheap plastic stocked rifle.If they were in a nice laminate stock I would be more interested. Looks like a prarriedog` bullet to me.

I have been waiting for a better quality rifle. Savage make some nice accurate rifles but the 17wsm that I have seen were in a cheap plastic stocked rifle.If they were in a nice laminate stock I would be more interested. Looks like a prarriedog` bullet to me.

They make a laminate thumbwhole stock one. But i believe its like 600 or better priced rifle for that price you can almost get a nice center fire.

Attachments

• f60cb17e04583c30e012f1e2ad8289fc_b8ef717739224ddbfa6d1e6772364a57.png
    f60cb17e04583c30e012f1e2ad8289fc_b8ef717739224ddbfa6d1e6772364a57.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 550
I did not know they made that 17wsm in a nicer rifle.Have check to see if there in lefthand. I would be interested.

I have one the early bmags and savage did have an issue with the stock which caused the free floating barrel to not be so free floating towards the end of the stock. Out of the box the zero was inconsistent and after finding the problem and fixing it with a dremel tool I now have a cheap 3/4 to 1.25 inch group pickup and implement weapon that causes serious trauma to coyotes and other small game. For those wanting a fancy looking stock, boyds gunstocks makes a replacement stock for 100 bucks. Ammo is starting to make appearances a little more the only problem is you almost need a mall walker to check in scheels on a daily basis, when it shows up it only hangs around a day or 2. My biggest complaint about the bmag is that is cocks the bolt on the close stroke not the open like most bolt guns, It takes a bit of getting used to.All in All the Bmag is a good no frills dirt cheap firearm.

I have two. The Cabela's fluted heavy barrel an a SS HB. I switched out the fluted HB to a Boyds stock and bedded the front action. Mine has a 1:9 twist, I understand the newer ones have a 1:8. The 17WSM ammo was junk when it first came out, I ended up sending some of it back to Winchester for a refund. Hornady 17WSM is to hit the shelf's sometime this year. I can get .25" groups at 100yds but there's always a flyer or two. Oh and I have about 50 boxes of ammo on hand.

Last edited:
Question

I've been looking at the 17 WSM for some time now. Read the various reports and am aware of issues others have been having.

Agree that if Ruger comes out with a rifle in this caliber then that should be a good thing.

So here's my question. When I start looking at ammo costs and ballistics of rounds, it sure seems like the .223 can do every the 17 WSM can (and more) for less $$. Have I missed something?

~ AO

I have found two nice 17 Rem and one 17 fireball for sale. Would one of these be better then the 17 WSM. Does anyone know about the 22 squirrel.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back