Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Savage AXIS VS Ruger American

Rooster52

Looking at buying a rifle that I can leave at my deer blind.Something not to expensive and mustcome in left hand. Whats your input between these two rifles ? By the photos they look very simalier

I have an axis in .270. I did put a boyds stock on it though, from a bench rest its very accurate, the bolt lift and the flimsy stock from the factory are the only real downfalls, however for a cheap rifle its a wonderful shooter. I can't speak to the ruger as i've only handled one a couple of times.

I have both and I wouldn't compare them due to price point not being the same. The ruger and the model 10/11 are much closer in price point. in which case I take the Savage, but not for any real mechanical reason more of a fit feel thing . Unless you are talking Axis XP II which is the same price point as the ruger. Which I don't own one. Out of the box my savages have shot better then the Ruger. With handloads and a lot of work I have gotten the Ruger close to shooting as well as my stock model 11, but no where near where the model 11 is that I have tinkered with. I sold my original Axis a year after I got it because I didn't feel like tinkering with it. The action is just too sloppy and the trigger was complete garbage, but if $250 is all you can spend on a rifle then you live with that, which I did at the time (and I must add it still shot better then the Ruger out of the box, but the ruger was a way better platform to start from).

I got an older plain Axis in 25-06, but I don't mind the trigger after shooting M4's most of my adult life. The trigger is adjustable with a spring change. I shoot Federal Fusions out of both rifles and they shoot wonderfully. My Ruger I got as a package in 30-06 and it shoots very well. I can consistently hit an 8 inch gong at 400 yards with the Savage and a 500 yard gong with the Ruger. My personal preference is the Ruger due to construction and trigger and it is my all around rifle. I have a 111 Savage in 300 win mag and that is a flat out shooter, and not much more price wise. I shoot Federal soft point blue box ammo out of it, which shot the best out of a couple of different factory ammo choices. I don't handload, so I shoot factory ammo that shoots well and Fusions and soft point are not only nicely priced, but they are accurate and work well. I bought my wife an Ruger in .308 and she shoots it very well as a new shooter.

I got an older plain Axis in 25-06, but I don't mind the trigger after shooting M4's most of my adult life. The trigger is adjustable with a spring change. I shoot Federal Fusions out of both rifles and they shoot wonderfully. My Ruger I got as a package in 30-06 and it shoots very well. I can consistently hit an 8 inch gong at 400 yards with the Savage and a 500 yard gong with the Ruger. My personal preference is the Ruger due to construction and trigger and it is my all around rifle. I have a 111 Savage in 300 win mag and that is a flat out shooter, and not much more price wise. I shoot Federal soft point blue box ammo out of it, which shot the best out of a couple of different factory ammo choices. I don't handload, so I shoot factory ammo that shoots well and Fusions and soft point are not only nicely priced, but they are accurate and work well. I bought my wife an Ruger in .308 and she shoots it very well as a new shooter.

Just to chime in on your praise of the fusions. My 111 also shoots fusion well. It is the only off the shelf ammo I buy if I don't have the time to load some ammo up.

Bought a new Ruger American today 7mm08. Never owned a 7mm08. Topping it with either a older Nikon buckmaster or Leupold that I have. Thinking camo uping the stock,the black plastic just does not excite me.

Good choice, Rooster. I love my RA in .308, but I really like the 7-08. I did not paint mine, as that is irrelevant to me, but I did fill in the voids in the forearm with epoxy to stiffen it a bit. I also replaced the trigger spring, as mine would not go light enough. I topped it with an SWFA 6x Super Sniper and it is a great little rifle. It will shoot Hornady Interlock 150s into 1/2 moa and works well on deer.

Bought a new Ruger American today 7mm08. Never owned a 7mm08. Topping it with either a older Nikon buckmaster or Leupold that I have. Thinking camo uping the stock,the black plastic just does not excite me.

I did not like the black plastic look of my stock either. I bought some Krylon Fusion Camo Paints and sponges and gave it a work over. It looks better to me now.IMG_20160410_174601_039.jpg

I work at a local gun shop to make some extra money for school and we sell a ton of savage axis, I think the reason being would be the price point, but.. IMO the ruger American is a better gun mainly because the adjustable trigger and defiantly a better trigger then the axis IMO. I bought a ruger American predator in 22-250 and it was pretty accurate out of the box with a vortex crossfire 4-12x44 I put on it plus the threaded barrel is a nice feature incase you ever want to go suppressed

I would have to agree with Idaho on this. We do sell quite a few of both, however, I'd lean to the Ruger if it was me.
Love the camo paint Huron!

Sorry about the crappy picture it's all I had on my phone at the moment but I had mine dipped in the Kryptek yeti, and think it turned into a pretty sweet little gun, the od green it comes with just didn't sit well with me

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back