Savage Arms Warranty

JCW

Has anyone ever had to use their warranty?

I ended up sending back a new 300 win LRH at the end of December, wanted to wait till after rifle season. My issue was the chamber seemed to be cut out of align or possible oblong as when I extracted my spend case there was an obvious ridge left in the brass perpedicular to the bore about 1/4 the way around the brass. Seemed there might have been something wrong with the reamer or the like. Unfortuantely the gun shot very good and I was hesitant on sending it back, but since this was a factory defect I decided on sending it back.

Anyway I just got off the phone with Customer Service to check on status and they told me test firing of my new gun had been completed today and they would be shipping it out next week. I asked "NEW rifle :confused:" and the gal told me they were issuing me a brand new gun and when asked about what the original issue had been she had little info.

So my question I guess to you folks would be why would they replace the whole gun rather than just unscrew the barrel and replace with a new one? Dont get me wrong I am OK with getting a brand new gun out of the deal, but seems to me a barrel swap would be the obvious, quicker, cheaper fix. Anyone have similar experiences?

P.S. CS was very pleasant to deal with.

Not necessarily new warranty work but I had trigger and safety work on an old school Savage 110E about 10 years ago...they fixed it no questions asked and I paid shipping each way in exchange for the work on a 25 year old rifle.

Maybe something with the action had them spooked along with the oblong chamber...possibly the action wasn't within specs and was missed by Quality Control. In reality it was probably faster (and ultimately cheaper) for them to send a new rifle.

Quick question... Are they sending it direct to you, or to an FFL?
It will be sent to Sportsmans. I bought it there and they sent it to Savage for the warranty work also. The CS person said something about now having 2 serial numbers, but maybve that is just for transfer of old # to new # into my name and the FFL will handle the paperwork when it gets sent back.

Maybe something with the action had them spooked along with the oblong chamber...possibly the action wasn't within specs and was missed by Quality Control. In reality it was probably faster (and ultimately cheaper) for them to send a new rifle.

Good point, never thought about that.

They have been having some problems with the actions and barrels manufactured in China. Probably wanted to get that one out of the market and replace it with a good one. Good on Savage for stepping up.

What sagebush says, but also to cut down on labor costs for them would be my guess. Replace the weapon and get it back to the customer, deal with the rest of it in-house.

Update on "new" gun. I have been shooting it off and on all summer and finally started load development. Early on factory rounds were OK, but handloads have showed very nice accuracy @100, 1/2 inch. Yes I need to go to 200 or 300 yds, but wasn't available today.

I got a couple of reloading questions for the more experienced.

1. Meticulous on measuring every load and Green Chrony is all over the board on velocity, 70 fps variance on one load. Could it be the Chrony?

2. Has anyone loaded the same AB in a 300? What powder /load was the winner? Currenty got 70.5 of H4831, probably work it up a bit though.

Last edited:
The sling stud in the forearm pulled out while shooting with a bipod. Savage sent me a new stock within a week!

1. Meticulous on measuring every load and Green Chrony is all over the board on velocity, 70 fps variance on one load. Could it be the Chrony?

Possibly the chronograph, though it may be the ammo. It's hard to say for sure. You may try different primers and see if that helps. I've had good quality factory ammo differ by nearly 100fps different lots of the same ammo, and 50fps within 1 box. I like WLRM's or GM215M's for Magnum rifles.

Another suggestion would be pushing the chornograph out another yard or two. I have had issues with Muzzle blast disturbing a chronograph with my .325 WSM.

Possibly the chronograph, though it may be the ammo. It's hard to say for sure. You may try different primers and see if that helps. I've had good quality factory ammo differ by nearly 100fps different lots of the same ammo, and 50fps within 1 box. I like WLRM's or GM215M's for Magnum rifles.

Another suggestion would be pushing the chornograph out another yard or two. I have had issues with Muzzle blast disturbing a chronograph with my .325 WSM.

I currently loading CCI250's, but do have some Winchesters and Remington's to try. I'll run my targets out further and see if my groups really open up, if not then I'll be a happy camper. Moving the Chrony out further is a good test too.

Moving the Chrony out further is a good test too.

Doesn't need much, 4-5 yds is probably plenty. I had one at 3 yds with my .325 and I literally blew the plastic front sheet off the front that tells what all the buttons do......... It still works fine, but it can be interesting to remember what buttons do what...

Also... I'd definitely recommend wearing powder free surgical gloves when priming if you don't already. I wear them for the complete reloading process, but that may be a bit excessive..... The chems they use in primers can be seriously nasty stuff. Plus, Any oils or residues on the primer can effect performance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back