savage 110 ultralite

I bought the 6.5 PRC ultralight. Bolt is not user friendly. Very jumpy and not smooth at all. Then I lost track of how many rounds I put thru it to find a decent load. It's definitely not a shooter. I have a new barrel ordered for it. I have 2 other proof research barrels that shoot just fine. But this barrel won't shoot worth a darn. I disliked the bolt so much I swapped it for a regular non fluted bolt in the gun.
Did you get Savage to get you a new barrel? Could something else, like the chamber be the culprit?

I know what you mean about the spiral-fluted bolt. My daughter's Lightweight Storm has a fluted bolt, and while it is smoothing in, it is nowhere near as smooth as the standard 110 bolt. Is it really worth the savings in weight?

I wonder if yours has the same problem as Chuckin's did, since it's the same caliber. Chambering issue w/ a worn out reamer. His was getting taken care of by Savage. Follow-up explanation starts at 13:45

I reload everything..204 223 25/06 260 rem 7mm rem mag 338 win mag and now the 6.5 PRC. I could not get it to shoot to my standards. Which are high by the way and for a barrel like this it should meet my standards. The fluted bolt is just for looks and it is rough when chambering a round. I put a smooth bolt in it. And no I did not send it back to savage. Ive been down the send it in road and usually hit a dead end when you say"I reload". So a Shilen barrel is on order as they make the contour I want. Did I shoot some factory ammo thru it??? No. I can't find any and the shit I find is a eldx and I won't shoot that crap at an animal.

I just got the ultralight in .308 a few weeks ago, I've tried 150gr. Hornady SSTs and they shot roughly 1.25 - 1.5inch at 100yds, just eyeballing I didn't measure it, but good enough for any shot I'm going to take. Actually on this thread because I have the same question, and I know it can do better. I'm the type that shoots to sight in and then shoots to kill so I might but 15 rounds through it a year. I might need to get it past the break-in and clean it a few times before I start complaining. Is there anything you've had the most luck with?
just ordered one of these in .308. Anybody else have one, and have a recommendation on factory ammo that shoots best in yours?

I just got the ultralight in .308 a few weeks ago, I've tried 150gr. Hornady SSTs and they shot roughly 1.25 - 1.5inch at 100yds, just eyeballing I didn't measure it, but good enough for any shot I'm going to take. Actually on this thread because I have the same question, and I know it can do better. I'm the type that shoots to sight in and then shoots to kill so I might but 15 rounds through it a year. I might need to get it past the break-in and clean it a few times before I start complaining. Is there anything you've had the most luck with?
165gr sierra game changers shoot the best in my gun by far. Good luck finding any though.

Cabela's has the 110 longrange hunter for 50% off and another $75 off with Savage rebate. I picked up a 6.5 creedmoor for the wife. If it hits paper it'll be an improvement over the $1,100 Kimber I had.

Last edited:
I saw the ad for 50% off the Long Range Hunter, but didn't see any listings for the Lightweight Hunter. It would be worth looking at, since I have Cabelas points to burn. But it would also be redundant, since I just picked up one of the Camo 6.5 Ultralites, too!

Cabela's has the 110 lightweight hunter for 50% off and another $75 off with Savage rebate. I picked up a 6.5 creedmoor for the wife. If it hits paper it'll be an improvement over the $1,100 Kimber I had.
You mean the lightweight storm? My dad has that gun. His shoots lights out. If you shoot factory ammo ill ask him what his likes. I have two of the older version of that gun, the 16 lightweight hunter. Both are sub half moa. I love those guns.

My cousin’s shoots well with fusion but what else is new?
Mine didnt shoot fusion well at all. However, my savage 16 lightweight hunter in .243 shoots them incredibly well. Believe i posted a pic earlier in this thread with a 1/4" group i shot with that gun with federal fusion at 200 yards the day i was dialing in my scope on that gun. Not disparaging on the ammo at all, just saying my .308 ultralite didnt group well with it.

Mine didnt shoot fusion well at all. However, my savage 16 lightweight hunter in .243 shoots them incredibly well. Believe i posted a pic earlier in this thread with a 1/4" group i shot with that gun with federal fusion at 200 yards the day i was dialing in my scope on that gun. Not disparaging on the ammo at all, just saying my .308 ultralite didnt group well with it.
Well that’s too bad. He was shooting same hole, maybe a few millimeters off of each other at 100

Well that’s too bad. He was shooting same hole, maybe a few millimeters off of each other at 100
Maybe ill try them again. No reason not to, dont know what else id use the remaining rounds for. Which weight? Just looked and i have 150, 165, 180. Think i only tried the 165.

my bad, longrange hunter. No idea where I got lightweight from.
Rats. Although that is a smoking deal for the LRH model. I’ve had to talk myself off the ledge of buying one since I got the email Friday. I’d be into it for about $400 altogether. I had one in 7mm the year they came out. It was REALLY accurate with the 168gr Berger HSM load. I have to let my practical side talk my impulsive side out of getting another.
That being said, I’m also really excited to shoot this Ultralite. I’m very impressed, initially, with the fit and finish of it.

Just finished a backpack elk hunt with my Savage 110 Ultralite in 280AI. 7.2 pounds with 5 rounds scoped. Shoots sub moa. Leupold VX5 3-15x44 with Seekins Rings and Leupold 20MOA Backcountry Rail. Last 200yd grouping with Hornady 162 ELDX
Good looking set up sir!

I can get a great deal on one of these guns but can’t decide on caliber. Would like a do all gun for white tails to elk. 6.5 prc, 280 ai, 28 Nosler, or 300wsm

I can get a great deal on one of these guns but can’t decide on caliber. Would like a do all gun for white tails to elk. 6.5 prc, 280 ai, 28 Nosler, or 300wsm
Wouldn’t all of those work in reality? I think it comes down to personal preference.

Wouldn’t all of those work in reality? I think it comes down to personal preference.
Thats the point, of course they would all work, but we could have a multi page argument with calculations, data, anecdotes, and lots of condescending before we come to that conclusion. Jeez man, don't spoil it, Christmas is almost here.

Thats the point, of course they would all work, but we could have a multi page argument with calculations, data, anecdotes, and lots of condescending before we come to that conclusion. Jeez man, don't spoil it, Christmas is almost here.
My bad... what was I thinking trying to be rational. Well I voted with my wallet for 280AI earlier in the month with a different rifle but if Savage put the same barrel (24”/1:8.4” twist) in the 280AI that they put in the 28 Nosler I would’ve considered this rifle more seriously. In my state (Kentucky) all of the 6.5’s currently select themselves out due to it being illegal to shoot elk with a bullet less than 27 caliber in diameter (no one has to agree with the logic but that’s what the law is) so it’s how I fell into 7mm as my choice in “all around” hunting calibers. I used to own a 308 and it is a great cartridge for just about everything within “sensible ranges” but I prefer 7’s for some reason. Maybe because they’re a little less popular and effectively does the same things.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back