Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

savage 110 ultralite

My bad... what was I thinking trying to be rational. Well I voted with my wallet for 280AI earlier in the month with a different rifle but if Savage put the same barrel (24”/1:8.4” twist) in the 280AI that they put in the 28 Nosler I would’ve considered this rifle more seriously. In my state (Kentucky) all of the 6.5’s currently select themselves out due to it being illegal to shoot elk with a bullet less than 27 caliber in diameter (no one has to agree with the logic but that’s what the law is) so it’s how I fell into 7mm as my choice in “all around” hunting calibers. I used to own a 308 and it is a great cartridge for just about everything within “sensible ranges” but I prefer 7’s for some reason. Maybe because they’re a little less popular and effectively does the same things.
I totally agree, I'm dithering over rifle selection right now but 280AI keeps popping up as the best choice for the do everything round. The wrinkle I'm currently working on I'm planning on doing matching rifles - one in .223 for practice and one in my hunting caliber, but depending on manufacturer the options are different. The trick is if you aren't planning on shooting your hunting rifle much you consider rounds like 28 Nosler more seriously because cost/recoil are less of a factor.

Yeah that’s the problem. Can’t decide and each one of the options sounds great.
Well you have one 26 caliber option, two 28 caliber options, and a 30 caliber option.

Do you own other rifles in this caliber (for instance a Creedmoor, 7mm08, 308, etc.)? If so, then I’d choose the Magnum/Light Magnum in that caliber that you already own because it makes buying reloading components more simple IMO if you reload or think you may in the future. Nosler will likely almost always support anything 280AI and Nosler case designs. Hornady will likely alway support the PRC/Creedmoor designs. Winchester will likely always support their WSM designs on some level.

If you don’t reload, maybe the 6.5 PRC makes the most sense IMO... or maybe just go with a 270 or 30-06 in a rifle even if they are the “boring choice.” Again if it were me, I’d choose the 280AI easily because I find it’s as much as I’d likely ever need on anything I’d really want to hunt. If I needed more then I’d look at cartridges in the 33 caliber to 37 caliber range like the 338-06, 35 Whelen, 9.3x62, or 375 H&H personally of the ideal is to deal with a lot more recoil than a 7mm cartridge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back