Caribou Gear

savage 110 ultralite

Dunning Kruger

just ordered one of these in .308. Anybody else have one, and have a recommendation on factory ammo that shoots best in yours?

Apparently so
Link?

Okay i found it. The review where you didnt even shoot the rifle, just said it sucks buy a tikka? What was i thinking, buying a gun that some random on the internet handled without shooting and said the gun sucks? I must be an idiot.

Last edited:
Gonna pick one up for the kids in 6.5 prc as soon as I find one in stock somewhere in Montana. I’m a savage junkie, here’s one you can just go shoot. Probably going to add a brake and just go shoot it.

I would just try 3-4 factory loads I’ve never had one not shoot a moa or less.

I was excited about the Ultralight but they're not offering it in .300WM, so I went the other way and bought the 110 Classic instead, which I later regretted. If I ever break down and get a 6.5CM, I'll definitely try the Ultralight. Please report back how you like it once you get your hands on it!

I get the daily emails from grabagun, and yesterday's had a camo version of the 6.5cm and I thought it looked really sharp. Way better than the gray/black that they use for the standards.
savage veil camo.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how it shoots, I like the camo stocks better then the grey/black, but would prefer a solid camo stock.

Funny how cosmetics has crept into the reasons for a rifle selection. mtmuley

I'm one of the guy's that let's cosmetics sneak in. I think that the vast majority of guns made are very well made and it certainly sound's like they all shoot well. So I don't like camo, plastic stocks or stainless steel but bottom line is they most likely work as well as those I do like, Walnut and blue steel trip's my trigger. I can deal with the steel that looks like it was painted with black rust olem. If in my view a rifle is ugly, I don't fool with it but truth is those ugly rifles sound like they shoot as well as my pretty rifles. Did I say that? Actually cosmetic's today seem's to me to be the best reason but to other's they worry about weather proof. Shoot if that's your thing pick a rifle you think looks good and go for it, odds are it will be a lot more than fair!

Apparently so
Link?

Okay i found it. The review where you didnt even shoot the rifle, just said it sucks buy a tikka? What was i thinking, buying a gun that some random on the internet handled without shooting and said the gun sucks? I must be an idiot.
Nope, never said it didn't shoot.
But for the money there are to me, too many glaring issues with it for me to be willing to plop the money down on one.

I'm not a gun rag writer that get to review rifles for free, nor did i win the lottery that lets me buy any & every gun i want.

I've got two loads that worked really well in mine written down at home. I get done here at the kiddos school and get home I'll look back at what it was.
I do know it wasn't really that picky and did not like a warm barrel. Then again I don't know a thinner barreled rifle that does. Even wrapped like it is.

Last edited:
I have a ultralight in a 6.5 PRC and can not get it to shoot. Im not so happy. I have 2 rifles with proof research barrels on them and they shoot great.

I don't look past 1 MOA on a hunting rifle and even then if it shoots 1.5 or two depending on what it is I'm happy with it for the most part unless I know it'll do better so when it gets there I usually leave it alone. This is one along with most new rifles I expect sub MOA just because they usually guarantee it out of the box. I wish I had a better breakdown for you. I usually only shoot Accubonds, Partitions, or Ballistic tips unless I'm chasing coyote or shooting paper.
I really like the rifle. But to be honest with what loads I've tried it's not shooting any better than my buddies AXIS. I'm sure somebody could get it much tighter with a bullet that started life as a match bullet.
I have a buddy with a 308 with a proof barrel that has put 3 Berger VLDs in at .3, I don't know if he hunts with them though.
IMG_20200826_095601324_HDR.jpg

So i tried a number of types of factory ammo with no luck, finally tried 165 grain sierra gamechangers and theyre shooting sub moa. Not shooting as well as my model 16 lightweight hunters, but plenty good for my purposes, 0-300 yards. Really i prefer 100 yards or less for anything, just the way i tend to hunt. Topped it with a zeiss victory v8 1-8×30. Pic of gun and 4 shot group at 100yards.20201001_153540_copy_800x450.jpg20200924_132856_copy_800x1422.jpg

Three thoughts on this rifle:

1. I'm impressed Savage is coming out a rifle that has a proof research CF barrel.

2. I would expect this rifles to be more difficult to shoot accurately because it is so light. I'm sure plenty of people can get a 6 lb rifle to shoot 1/2 moa, but it can be more difficult for the average person to get the most out of a superlight rifle under normal conditions.

3. I am underwhelmed with the 1 in 10 twist rate with a caliber like 6.5 prc. It is fine with some of the older cartridges it's offered in but in cartridges that where people are going to want to shoot heavy for caliber bullets-this twist is unacceptable.

Edit: As was pointed out below, I was wrong about my 3rd point. I looked at Savage’s website and see they have appropriate twist rates.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back