Saturday Morning Fun

smalls

Had a great morning at a local frozen pond. The first pic is about halfway through the morning. When schools would come through it was impossible to fish two rods.

0216081019a.jpg

My first eater perch of the year. As for the glove, its not that I am a sissy, I just break out with terrible hives if I touch perch, walleye, panfish, etc. For some reason I don't break out when I touch trout or salmon...if only they tasted better!
0216080846a.jpg

The wind this morning was rediculous. When we'd stand up our folding chairs would go flying across the ice. I had to chase mine about 150 yards at one point and the wind was blowing so hard across the smooth ice I couldn't walk into it as it would blow me backwards across the ice. One of my buddies had to jump in the pickup and drive over to pick me up and transport me back to our setup. Had the fish not been biting it would have been miserable and unbearable...but since they were feeding pretty good it's probably one of the funnest days of ice fishing I've ever had.

Looks like a good morning. Not having any lakes around that freeze like that what is the rule of thickness of the ice before you decide to drive a truck out onto it? I know it has to be frozen but to what thickness and do you just drill it to check. I know a stupid question but just curious.:confused:

Looks like a good morning. Not having any lakes around that freeze like that what is the rule of thickness of the ice before you decide to drive a truck out onto it? I know it has to be frozen but to what thickness and do you just drill it to check. I know a stupid question but just curious.:confused:

RR, I generally wait until there's 12-14" before I drive a truck on the ice. I also like to wait for a bunch of other guys to test the ice before me:D

I've read where 10" will support the weight of a fullsize pickup, but ice doesn't form uniformly across a body of water. So even though there may be 10" where you're fishing, somewhere between your spot and the access point may be less ice.

I break out with deer and elk blood. I don't have any issues with fish, thats crazy :)

Looks like a bit'o fun !!! Never been ice fishing, it's on my list though.........

I break out with deer and elk blood. I don't have any issues with fish, thats crazy :)

As I get older it gets worse and worse. Today my hands feel like pincushions with needles going through them at all different angles. I wore gloves while handling all the fish yesterday, but I may have come in contact with the skin/mucus when washing my filet knife. I'm not supposed to eat fish anymore, but I will on occasion eat fresh perch or crappie (one of my favorite meals).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back