MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Santa Clarita Blaze

ELKCHSR

Part of the reason I haven't went out yet is because of politics as usual, this is some thing you learn to live with, no big deal.
The FS is trying not to hire out any of their volunteers or contractors and just keeping the work to themselves. This is fine, cept the thing that will happen in not to long, and happens every time they do this. With out the manpower to keep certain fires at bay, they will jump the lines and burn up half the world.
Some here will look at this as a good thing, including myself. It brings a lot of publicity to this topic and huge sums of $$$ are spent to get it all back under control, more than if they just did what they know they should...

Santa Clarita Blaze Jumps Fire Lines

By Erika Hayasaki Times Staff Writer

A man taking target practice with a rifle southwest of Hemet on Saturday afternoon was cited for allegedly sparking the Melton fire, authorities said, while several other fires continued to burn Sunday, including a Santa Clarita blaze that jumped fire lines, prompting officials to order the evacuation of about 1,600 homes.

A Riverside County resident, whose name was not released, was cited by the California Department of Forestry and Prevention for recklessly causing a fire and could be ordered to pay some of the more than $1.1 million it has cost so far to fight the blaze. The fire blackened more than 3,600 acres of brush and damaged three buildings by late Sunday, when it was about 50% contained.

To the west in the mountains between the San Fernando and Santa Clarita valleys, firefighters had contained about 35% of the Foothill fire by early Sunday afternoon when the blaze, driven by 20 mph winds, bounded across fire lines.

Earlier in the day, fire officials had allowed the return of about 100 residents who had evacuated their homes Saturday, said Los Angeles County Fire Department spokesman Mark Savage.

About 2 p.m., however, with temperatures rising into the high 90s, officials again ordered those residents to evacuate, along with all others living south of the Antelope Valley Freeway and west of Sand Canyon Road. The area includes the Fair Oaks Ranch development. More than 1,000 firefighters, aided by water-dropping helicopters, sought to keep the flames out of the residential area.

Residents south of the Antelope Valley Freeway and east of Sand Canyon Road were told to be ready to evacuate, Savage said.

After being closed then reopened Saturday, a 10-mile stretch of the Antelope Valley Freeway was closed again Sunday afternoon until late evening as smoke, which could be seen across Los Angeles County, obscured much of the area.

The Foothill fire started shortly before noon Saturday near the junction of the Antelope Valley and Golden State freeways after a red-tail hawk was electrocuted by a power line and fell to the ground, igniting grass and brush. By late Sunday, the fire had charred about 4,200 acres. At least three firefighters had suffered minor injuries, Savage said.

In northwest Los Angeles County, firefighters made progress Sunday in quelling the Pine fire, which has ravaged more than 17,000 acres since it was sparked a week ago. Officials are still investigating the cause of the fire. The blaze was 80% contained Sunday, and all 1,000 residents who had evacuated the area were allowed back to their homes, fire officials said, adding that they expected to have the fire fully controlled this week.

"We're in mop up," said Cricket Konopacki, a spokeswoman for the California Department of Forestry. "They're watching for smoke and putting out hot spots, and making sure everything is out."

The Pine blaze destroyed three homes and damaged five other buildings, Konopacki said. Four firefighters suffered minor injuries, and one fireman, Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Daniel E. Elkins, 47, was killed in a car accident while returning home from the fire. Funeral services for the 20-year Fire Department veteran are scheduled at 11 a.m. today at Lancaster Baptist Church, 4020 E. Lancaster Blvd.

About 5,000 firefighters have battled blazes across Southern California during the last week. More than 40,000 acres had burned as of Sunday evening, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (news - web sites) has approved funds to help pay for fighting six of the fires, including the Foothill and Melton blazes.

Elkchsr said, "The FS is trying not to hire out any of their volunteers or contractors and just keeping the work to themselves."

Its not politics, it makes sense for lots of reasons.

The first being financial. Why bring on a bunch of contractor firefighters when all the FS crews arent even out???

Secondly, FS crews are twice as good and twice as experienced.

Hang in there, some of these fires will have to be mopped up, you may get out yet.

Elkchsr

(Please note, I used "Elkchsr", as I expect you to be able to answer my questions).

Could you please explain how this is "politics" for those of us who don't understand?

Just exactly which National Forest does this fire happen to be on, that allows the FS to play "politics"?

Can you help explain? As in all the time I have been a Firefighter, I have yet to understand how fires on State/County land are managed by the Forest Service. Does the FS not allow us Private Contractors to fight fires on State Lands???

All I will say is that, part of what Buzz said is true, and yes I agree with that portion of it. The other part is that it really doesn't matter what forest it is on. They all work together pretty much on certain things. We have had to FS regular crews go to Alaska, that is pretty much unheard of. Two years ago, our crew was out the gate working in other states, while the FS crews were sitting idle.

So the Forest Service sends their crews to Non-federal land, and then hires contractors for their own fires???

Could you please give me some examples on that, as I haven't been a firefighter as long as you, but I have never heard that.

I didn't realize I said any of that, your reading way to much into what is posted again.

Besides, I only think you are board and needing some one to fuel our boardem..... ;)

Wow.... you are posting to yourself....

But seriously, you are the expert on the subject, and you say it is "politics", but you won't explain it to the rest of us who aren't as smart as you????

I knew you werent' trying to be nice at all but just trying to set some bait...
You need to get some depth, you wouldn't be so easily read....

shhh.gif
hint-it takes more than one post to change some ones perception of yourself.
shhh.gif

Elkchsr,
Why do you continually refuse to explain things that you say? I sure would like to know all about the "politics", and I'm sure a lot of other people here would. So why not give us a little more details. When someone asks you to explain and you refuse, you just lose credibility.

Oak

I would ask you Oak,
What does it really matter what they are here?
Do you want to know, so that there can be some deeper meaning met on this subject that really doesn't matter to most? Are you just trying to bait me into some thing that can be picked apart by some one? To be made fun of or to fuel more debate where there is non? Answer what it is your after, and be honest and not condecending, and I will go more in deapth. Try getting a fight going, and I will ignore you.... ;)

Why would you have thought it was important enough to post on the public forum that it was "politics", but you don't think it was important enough to explain?

I agree with you that much of public land firefighting is "politics", but I think it is a legitimate question of us to ask you to explain your charges.

Why be so elusive when people want to learn from your vast experience? If you know your shit, don't worry, and just explain to all of us who don't have a clue...

Since this has turned into a pissing match it has been moved to the forum o' pissing matches.

I don't see what he is doing as trying to so much learn any thing but to bait.
Big difference....
This is not a game I want to play, I have no desire on getting into a pissing match over some thing that is not really that important.
We can only give insight on what we have seen or experienced fist hand.
If Oak is that interested on learning my insight, he will e-mail me. Otherwise it is making mountains out of non-existant mole hills...
You even agree that it is politics and that really means it is only what one percieves...

ElkCheese,
(Notice you are back to ElkCheese, as you once again proved you don't have a clue what you are posting?)

It is easy for you to sit under your gray little cloud of doom, espousing your pessimism on all that is dear, for you haven't opened your lying eyes and seen all the drums that are beating only to not understand what real Americans are seeing in the liberal media...

Why make accusations against MY president and his administration? He is doing a good job, winning the war on terror and keeping the West from burning up in fire season. Do you really think Al Gore would not have been playing "politics"?

Elkchsr, you were the one that started a topic about politics in firefighting, not me. I just asked you to explain a little better. If you don't want to discuss it after posting it, fine with me. I don't know why you suddenly want to make the topic private, after you posted it publicly. Forget it....

Oak

Oak,
It is hilarious to watch him posting on things he has no clue on, and then for all of us to see that even on topics he should be the EXPERT on, he turns out not to have a clue.

Could you imagine feeling compelled to comment on everything, and not having the slightest clue as to what you are writing or reading????

I think it is odd that he makes these kind of attacks on our President, during War time, and then won't explain why he made the attack on our President.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back