Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sanctuary Vs. Sanctuary

Goatshoes

I drew a WY cow tag for a unit that apparently gets significant pressure due to proximity to a population center. I am planning to hunt after 9/15 during the archery season. The unit is well over population objective so it has plenty of animals, but apparently still a tough hunt.

As is often the case there is a mix of public and private property. I've never hunted animals in a situation like this. For those who have hunted in a situation like this can you give some advice?

Are the animals (cow elk in particular) likely to be in tough to hunt sanctuary spots on public land or will they just group up on private property where the living is easy?

I'm trying to determine whether my strategy should be to dig one out or find them on private and wait them out till they screw up and cross onto public?

Any helpful anecdotes welcome.

They are going to be where the best and most plentiful food is. That's probably going to be on private. The calves don't jump high fences yet so if they're on private, I would look for a place where the calves can get under a fence. That's if they're moving back and forth. My $.02.

I drew a WY cow tag for a unit that apparently gets significant pressure due to proximity to a population center. I am planning to hunt after 9/15 during the archery season. The unit is well over population objective so it has plenty of animals, but apparently still a tough hunt.

As is often the case there is a mix of public and private property. I've never hunted animals in a situation like this. For those who have hunted in a situation like this can you give some advice?

Are the animals (cow elk in particular) likely to be in tough to hunt sanctuary spots on public land or will they just group up on private property where the living is easy?

I'm trying to determine whether my strategy should be to dig one out or find them on private and wait them out till they screw up and cross onto public?

Any helpful anecdotes welcome.
Which unit is it?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back