Same powder for 7mm and 308?

cmc

Let me preface this in that I've reloaded 10's of thousands of pistol rounds but never got into reloading rifle cartridges. Time to change that.

So I'm looking to start collecting components and need to find out if there is a powder that would work with both a 7mm mag and a .308, or do I need to get specific for each. Powder seems to be a hit or miss on the shelves so if I were to find some I'd like to get it when it's there. Also preferable a powder that is normally on the market, not something that only gets sold every two years. I have the Barnes TSX & TTSX, Nosler partition & Bergers bullets on the radar to trail.

I add that the 7mm's (mine) primary job is for coues deer while the .308 (my wifes) will be for javelina, deer and cow elk if that helps

Thanks
cmc

Something about rifle reloading that brings on acute anal retentiveness. AKA accuracy obsession (no is my answer)

I have good luck with IMR4831 in my 7 mag. I had good luck with my .30-06 with H4350. If I was going to use one powder with both cartridges I would use the H4350.....

There are a couple of powders that will work for both. IMR 4350 and IMR 4831 will both work and will Hodgdon H4350 and H4831. There are powders that will work better for each load, but that's another story. If you haven't already chosen bullets, I load both calibers and have had excellent luck with Accubond and ETip Noslers and with the Berger Hunting bullets for accuracy. The Noslers have performed better in the field on all game.

Something about rifle reloading that brings on acute anal retentiveness. AKA accuracy obsession (no is my answer)

I'm the same way. Reloading components are not that hard to come by right now. Get the right powder for each caliber and you will be much happier with the results.

I don't know how much you shoot, But 1lb (7000gr) of powder will load approximately 150 rounds in the 308Win. 7000gr/46gr =152
and approximately 110 rounds of 7mm Rem Mag 7000gr/63 = 111

Go buy a pound of powder for each rifle and get after it.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

I kind of figured I wouldn't be able to find a single powder that would work with both after reading the reloading books for all the bullets I am pondering on testing.

I shoot .40 cal and .45 cal pistols and got luck that Clays worked great in reloading for both. Granted accuracy wasn't a much as priority as it will be on the rifle so I'm willing to go after separate powder but I was inquiring if I'd get lucky enough to use one.

thanks guys
cmc

The optimum burn rates needed for those two rounds are too far apart. Like some have said, 4350 is about as close as you can overlap them, but you're much better off buying two types of powder.

Generally, I'd recommend 7828 for the 7mm and Varget for the .308

I load for several different calibers and it is hard to beat IMR4350 as a do all powder.

+1 on Varget for the 308. My Weatherby 7RM would not give my accuracy and volocity at the same time until I went with H4831.

My 308 preforms best on Reloader 15 and a 165 Accu Bond. It really likes this combo.But that is the only gun that likes the Reloader 15.

The .308 does real well w Reloder 15, Varget, IMR4064 and IMR4895. The 7mag likes Re 22, IMR 7828, Re 25, H1000, or in other words, about any slow powder.

For what you are shooting, you don't need real tough bullets, so accuracy should mean a lot. The Hornady Interlock is great for both performance and accuracy at a reasonable price, As is the Sierra Game Kings. All of the Noslers are a good choice, but you really don't need the premium line. Bergers are accurate in some rifles if you play with them a little. I think they are over-rated and I could never get them to shoot well in my rifles.

Lots of choices for you.

A wealth of info as usual guys- many thanks!

I'm starting to keep a list for each powder on my smart phone to keep watch out for on the shelves.

cmc

Back