Same Flies, Different Rivers

CPAjeff

I first tried fly fishing back in 2016 and was quickly hooked (no pun intended). Since then, I've spent as much time as possible fishing the mountain streams in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana. My sweet wife just rolls her eyes every time I talk about stopping at a fly shop . . . she knows most flies are meant to catch fishermen, not necessarily fish. With that being said, I usually run the same handful dry flies and nymphs each outing.

Anyone else have a fly box full of flies that never see time on the water?

Last edited:
Haha yup! I have flies that I bought more than 5 years ago that have never gotten wet. Except for very specific hatches, the old standby's do the trick 90% of the time. Size and shape seem to be the most important part. It is fun to try out different flies just because, however.

Sure; no one needs a dozen different midge nymphs, but we all have them, you know, just in case. You need to start tying. Then you'll never have the exact right thread, hook, or feather for your latest and greatest. More trips to the fly shop. ;)

Heck I've got feathers and materials I bought in 1975 i haven't even put on a fly yet. I must be worth a fortune by now for all the money I've saved tying flies and reloading ammo

When my fly bag was stolen, I had over 20 years of flies in there. About a dozen large boxes, all stuffed to the gills. 3 small lanyard boxes that I used most of the time, and two large streamer boxes full.

Now, I feel naked with the 200 or flies I have on hand. What if the EHC isn't working, but a hi-viv post is? That purple haze is on fire, but I lost the last one, and now I'm down to just a dozen para-adams? The horror.

The horror.

The...horror.

I need some new flies.

Not really. Caddis, parachute adams, gnats, copper johns, and hare's ear nymphs in various sizes gets the job done. Add in a few San Juan worms because that's the only "fly" I can tie. I did buy one of those monstrosity hoppers just for shits and giggles, but that's it.

I have a few boxes that are used for most rivers and then a few boxes dedicated to a specific river or lake. I don't want to know how much I have tied up in fly tying and rod building material.

I agree that most of the time you don’t need a huge variety. But if you have never endured the frustration of fish only eating one thing and ignoring anything else (alive or artificial) then you can thank the fishing gods. Working the same hole for two hours before finally something that matches the hatch and catching a fish is a bitter sweet exercise.

When my fly bag was stolen, I had over 20 years of flies in there. About a dozen large boxes, all stuffed to the gills. 3 small lanyard boxes that I used most of the time, and two large streamer boxes full.

Now, I feel naked with the 200 or flies I have on hand. What if the EHC isn't working, but a hi-viv post is? That purple haze is on fire, but I lost the last one, and now I'm down to just a dozen para-adams? The horror.

The horror.

The...horror.

I need some new flies.
I feel your pain Ben, there's a special place in hell for a guy that steals another man's fly gear. My vest got jacked out of the back of my truck while I ran into the store. Slowly working my current setup back to the level of awesomeness that vest had in it.

When you get dedicated to tying flies, the stupidity gets real. I have way too many. It's nuts.

God bless Mrs. Fan for her understanding.

Its hard to pass up a fly shop in new territory. I prefer not to think about how many dollars worth of feather and hook I have wedged in my chest pack...

I feel your pain Ben, there's a special place in hell for a guy that steals another man's fly gear. My vest got jacked out of the back of my truck while I ran into the store. Slowly working my current setup back to the level of awesomeness that vest had in it.

That sucks. Stolen gear doesn't come with mojo anyway, so here's to hoping both jackwagons never catch a fish again.

I fish with maybe 5 different dry patterns and maybe 3 or 4 beadhead nymphs (tungsten to get them to sink faster)

I have boxes and boxes of flies and my fly guide friends will fish with none of them so that tells me a lot.

Now I try to keep things simple and only retie what I need and keep all my flies in 4 boxes of dries and wets...

...and 2 big boxes of streamers
...and 2 big boxes of bass and pike flies
...and 1 box of carp flies
...and 1 box of saltwater flies
...and 1 box the kids get to use
...and that other box of flies I haven't used in a while
...and that other box of flies I think is under the seat in my truck

Now I try to keep things simple and only retie what I need and keep all my flies in 4 boxes of dries and wets...

...and 2 big boxes of streamers
...and 2 big boxes of bass and pike flies
...and 1 box of carp flies
...and 1 box of saltwater flies
...and 1 box the kids get to use
...and that other box of flies I haven't used in a while
...and that other box of flies I think is under the seat in my truck
I have a shocking amount of flies when I add them up. Most of them have been in or at least near the water at some point, but a lot are specialty stuff (Saltwater, 20 years worth of Alaska flies, Pike/Bass boxes, Steelhead boxes, lake midges, etc) that sit and wait patiently. I could buy another new truck if I sold all my flies for a buck apiece.

But my favorite box is the mountain box that sits with my lanyard in the console of the truck and has enough attractor dries, soft hackles and copper johns to keep me in cutts and brookies all summer long with minor replenishment. Which - now that I think about it - it's time to get that sucker filled back up before turkey season starts in 10 days.

Back