Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Salmon, ID (Unit 30) Elk

grizzly_

I got lucky and drew a 2nd Draw elk tag in Unit 30 🥳 and am hoping somebody that knows more about the area than I do can maybe keep me from making a big mistake.

I'm guessing the hunting is better the later it gets so I took the last four days of November off work to be there. Is that the right call, or should I go earlier?

Is this the 11/1-11/30 tag?

I’ve hunted another unit in the general area the week of thanksgiving. The elk were in groups from 50-200+. There wasn’t much snow so they were holding at 9k in open country.

Is this the 11/1-11/30 tag?

I’ve hunted another unit in the general area the week of thanksgiving. The elk were in groups from 50-200+. There wasn’t much snow so they were holding at 9k in open country.
Yep, it's the November tag. I'm hoping if I wait until the last week, they'll be bunched up, or maybe in bachelor groups, but I've never hunted the area (or in late November, for that matter) so it'll be a bit of a learning curve.

I think I may try and run up for a day trip the first week of the season to learn the area a bit and then plan on hitting it hard at the end of the month.

I hope I'm not making a mistake 😬

If it was my tag I wouldn’t be waiting until the end. Solid chance the weather could get truly awful and you could basically be limited to the highway for access. It’s not a hard area to find elk in

Yep, it's the November tag. I'm hoping if I wait until the last week, they'll be bunched up, or maybe in bachelor groups, but I've never hunted the area (or in late November, for that matter) so it'll be a bit of a learning curve.

I think I may try and run up for a day trip the first week of the season to learn the area a bit and then plan on hitting it hard at the end of the month.

I hope I'm not making a mistake 😬
What I saw on that hunt was the bulls were with the huge cow herds.

With an atmospheric river starting tonight I sure wouldn't be coming in in late November. If we get a lot of moisture on the Moose fire there is going to be a lot of slides possibly into the road you may not be going anywhere. There is no best time or perfect time to hunt elk outside of the rut just go hunt.

You guys are the best, thanks for the advice 🙏

I'll follow your instructions and be there the first week of the hunt.

The moose fire was not in unit 30. I would hunt around Thanksgiving or later. Snow will not be a problem for access at that time.
This is the 15th and too early for the big bulls down low. In another ten days I will be watching herds of elk in unit 30 from my house.

Richard, good luck on the hunt. My brother has gone down there a couple of times with friends who had the tag. It sounded like it is a good hunt. Get a wolf tag(s).
Thanks, it’ll be fun to break out of the Panhandle for a bit

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back