Caribou Gear

Salmon B Elk Tag Idaho

Bushmaster07

Hey there,

I apologize if I have missed this topic in an earlier thread. I was sure to try to read anything I could find on this topic before posting so hopefully I am not wasting peoples time! Thanks for any input!

I finally was able to save enough money to do some out of state hunting and got a salmon B tag. I will be hunting for elk. I have never shot a branched antler bull elk (in Washington it is spike only) so am looking for wisdom on hunting this area. I have hunted a lot in Washington so I am not a newbie but feel like one when thinking of hunting Idaho. I am planning to backpack somewhere in to unit 28B (I know its huge and consists of 21/21A/28/36B). Hopefully I will be in good enough shape to get 3-6 miles deep or so but I don't know what is necessary to have a somewhat decent chance of getting into elk. I would love to get away from some of the hunting pressure and have already spoke to the biologist for the salmon B region and e-scouted a ton. However, after all of this I still feel like I know next to nothing. I am planning to get out this summer to scout but would love it if someone that has hunted this area would be willing to PM me or just get me started!

Thanks for your time!

Everyone I know who hunts that will whack a spike if he shows himself. There are big bulls, I’ve seen them on the winter range. But good luck finding them. They are in timbered nasty hell holes during that time frame. Depending on area that country is nasty. Plenty of wolves. Gonna try for a pack I know of here soon. This pack has a dozen of them. In my opinion that unit is a place where I’d rather be lucky than good.

Hey there,

I apologize if I have missed this topic in an earlier thread. I was sure to try to read anything I could find on this topic before posting so hopefully I am not wasting peoples time! Thanks for any input!

I finally was able to save enough money to do some out of state hunting and got a salmon B tag. I will be hunting for elk. I have never shot a branched antler bull elk (in Washington it is spike only) so am looking for wisdom on hunting this area. I have hunted a lot in Washington so I am not a newbie but feel like one when thinking of hunting Idaho. I am planning to backpack somewhere in to unit 28B (I know its huge and consists of 21/21A/28/36B). Hopefully I will be in good enough shape to get 3-6 miles deep or so but I don't know what is necessary to have a somewhat decent chance of getting into elk. I would love to get away from some of the hunting pressure and have already spoke to the biologist for the salmon B region and e-scouted a ton. However, after all of this I still feel like I know next to nothing. I am planning to get out this summer to scout but would love it if someone that has hunted this area would be willing to PM me or just get me started!

Thanks for your time!
Plan on 2-3 trip this summer just scout. Have 2 places picked out to look into for each trip. I highly doubt you need to backpack to find elk.

I looked in that area for a couple of summers and found elk and found bulls. Not always where I thought they would be. In the end it wasn't what I was looking for so I kept looking elsewhere. But that was when you could still buy a ID tag in the summer.

Hunted there a few years back. Saw a couple, couldn't tell if bulls or cows. Word is, LOTS of new out of state folks moving in and building houses. Everyone and their brother stomping around hunting.

Everyone I know who hunts that will whack a spike if he shows himself. There are big bulls, I’ve seen them on the winter range. But good luck finding them. They are in timbered nasty hell holes during that time frame. Depending on area that country is nasty. Plenty of wolves. Gonna try for a pack I know of here soon. This pack has a dozen of them. In my opinion that unit is a place where I’d rather be lucky than good.
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I might need a wolf tag!

Hunted there a few years back. Saw a couple, couldn't tell if bulls or cows. Word is, LOTS of new out of state folks moving in and building houses. Everyone and their brother stomping around hunting.
Man I was hoping I could get away from all the people here in Washington! Thanks for letting me know

Plan on 2-3 trip this summer just scout. Have 2 places picked out to look into for each trip. I highly doubt you need to backpack to find elk.

I looked in that area for a couple of summers and found elk and found bulls. Not always where I thought they would be. In the end it wasn't what I was looking for so I kept looking elsewhere. But that was when you could still buy a ID tag in the summer.
That's great advice on the summer scout trip! I am imagining that the elk will be in different locations in the summer come late October/November. Do you just adjust for finding them in different elevations or do they stay put until after hunting season?

That's great advice on the summer scout trip! I am imagining that the elk will be in different locations in the summer come late October/November. Do you just adjust for finding them in different elevations or do they stay put until after hunting season?
I would focus less on "the elk are right here" and more on finding drainages with good numbers. They're not likely to be in the same places, but they may only be a half dozen miles or less away. You have a crap load of area to whittle down. Good luck

Good luck in getting away from people! When you are there take note of those from your state with the same idea as you.
Tip......hunt the steepest roughest looking country you have ever seen for the best chance at a good bull. If you swear you will never hunt that spot again you are in elk country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back