Sako 85 Finnlight II/65 Creedmoor

Europe

Going to purchase one for a Grandson . I know the Sako product line, but never owned a Creedmoor

Anybody have any bad experiences with this combination ? ( Sako 85 Finnlight II/65 Creedmoor )

Thank you

No experiences with the new Finnlight II, but I absolutely love my 85 Finnlight .300 win mag. Very nice rifles. The more I see a 6.5 CM used on animals the more I like it. Very little recoil, very effective on deer, elk, and bear (what I’ve seen shot with it).

Fantastic rifle and the 6.5 Creedmoor should shoot very well in it. It's an accurate cartridge with good ballistics. He's lucky!

Excellent rifles ! the one I have used ( not mine ) is a 308. Excellent trigger and the CRF action is very smooth. I love the adjustable cheek piece. He probably wont use it but the rifle could easily and comfortably be used by his wife and children because of that feature . The pistol grip works for me also, as does the fiberglas stock, the stainless barrel and action and the light fibre bedding translates to excellent accuracy in very extreme weather conditions as well as easy rifle maintenance . Buy two, send one to me!;)

BUT, I am a bit surprised that you are buying a rifle with a fiberglass stock and stainless barrel, even for someone else o_O

p.s. Harley, my last sentence is possibly the answer to your question ;)

I only have one grandmother if you want to adopt me as a grandson. I'm partial to the Bavarian Carbine though.

Excellent rifles ! the one I have used ( not mine ) is a 308. Excellent trigger and the CRF action is very smooth. I love the adjustable cheek piece. He probably wont use it but the rifle could easily and comfortably be used by his wife and children because of that feature . The pistol grip works for me also, as does the fiberglas stock, the stainless barrel and action and the light fibre bedding translates to excellent accuracy in very extreme weather conditions as well as easy rifle maintenance . Buy two, send one to me!;)

BUT, I am a bit surprised that you are buying a rifle with a fiberglass stock and stainless barrel, even for someone else o_O

p.s. Harley, my last sentence is possibly the answer to your question ;)
I'm not allergic to Euro Walnut...just practical :)

I have a Finnlight in that caliber. So far I like it but haven’t shot anything with it yet. The Finnlight 2 has a slightly longer barrel, cerakoted and an adjustable stock. Wasn’t worth it to me to spend the $4-500 more over the Finnlight. Approaching Carbonlight prices. I can’t remember if the stock is adjustable lengthwise but if it is then that would likely be worth it in your case as your grandson presumably needs a shorter stock now but when he grows the stock can grow with him. Mine likes heavier bullets, couldn’t get good groupings with the 120-129 grain ammo.

Hi, I have experienced Poor functioning of two salo 85‘s. the design of the bolt/extractor is flawed. When they do extract, the often don’t eject properly. The empty case often flips up, hits the scope and lands back in the gun.

Beware.

Hi, I have experienced Poor functioning of two salo 85‘s. the design of the bolt/extractor is flawed. When they do extract, the often don’t eject properly. The empty case often flips up, hits the scope and lands back in the gun.

Beware.
My Sako 85 Finnlight is a sweet shooting and handling rifle, it functions perfectly. Not saying this didn’t happen with yours, but there’s many happy Sako owners out there, myself included.

I have a Sako finnlight in 7mmHT and it’s an absolutely tremendous gun. I’m extremely sure it will be my main shooter for the rest of my life. If it were ever stolen or lost; I’d buy another the next day. Excellent choice

Great! I’m glad your guns work great, and you are happy with them.

She asked if anyone has had problems and I have. The XS action had the most problem and the long action is better, but still malfunctions (doesn’t extract/eject properly all the time). Maybe I have early models and they got the problem fixed?

Search on Sako 85 extractor problems or ejector problems. You can see I am not alone or making this up. I am sorry if it hurts your egos, but my experience (and by the results of that search, many others) is is a unreliable and flawed design.

Last edited:
Search on Sako 85 extractor problems or ejector problems. You can see I am not alone or making this up. I am sorry if it hurts your egos, but my experience (and by the results of that search, many others) is is a unreliable and flawed design.
No egos hurt here, but shouldn’t positive experiences be considered as well as negative ones? I just think that “beware” is a little much when many consider them a very well made rifle.

My Sako works fine. I was a bit concerned about what you have as a problem before I bought mine. I'm pretty sure the problem is with the scopes with a larger diameter or longer windage adjuster are what causes this ejection issue. The case on extraction looked like it hits the adjuster tube or cap and bounces back toward the chamber. Maybe a different scope would help your issue.

Nary a hiccup out'a three of em...
As mentioned earlier on this thread the one I used was very nice, handled well and worked flawlessly, but a 308 .not the 6.5 Creedmore that she was asking about.

noharleyyet . you might find this a bit humorous. I ask her if anybody made rifles in Canada or the U.S. that was better or as good overall as Sako. She sent me a list of companies that make custom rifles in the States and Canada.. One of the companies was from your area. Hill Country Rifles. But their rifles are like 6 to 8 K. So I checked out the company she gave me in B.C. Canada , Martini, but their rifles started at 25000. I looked up Searcy, in Calif But their rifles also started at 25000. So I threw away her list of custom rifle manufacturers

Sako is looking better and better.:cool:.

Great! I’m glad your guns work great, and you are happy with them.

She asked if anyone has had problems and I have. The XS action had the most problem and the long action is better, but still malfunctions (doesn’t extract/eject properly all the time). Maybe I have early models and they got the problem fixed?
try changing the springs on the ejector and extractor, I am not familiar with new sako actions, but many years ago I built a 6.5 / 284 and shot about 2000 woodchucks with it and had a problem like that and changing the spring on the plunger ejector fixed it. The new ones may be very different (I am talking 1967) just a thought.

Back