Sako 85 Finnlight II/65 Creedmoor

I love my Sako 85. It feeds and extracts like a boss! OP, it is my belief that you are making a great decision, should be a fantastic rifle for all ages.

20200112_184801.jpg20200112_184935.jpg20200112_184831.jpg

Last edited:
Did you do the bedding? I’m finally getting around to bedding my 85 Finnlight in a McMillan, hopefully this week.
I did not. I sent them the barreled action so they could properly inlet it and bed it before they sent it back to me.

try changing the springs on the ejector and extractor, I am not familiar with new sako actions, but many years ago I built a 6.5 / 284 and shot about 2000 woodchucks with it and had a problem like that and changing the spring on the plunger ejector fixed it. The new ones may be very different (I am talking 1967) just a thought.
Hi Mike,

I assumed the 85 was as good as the previous models that had very fine reputations.

The XS action varmint was the worst. My local gunsmiths didn’t want to work on it, so I got springs from Greg Tannel and it was better. I ordered an additional factory extractor, plunger and spring and waited about 6mos for it. I ended up filing the extractor and reassemble, file more, reassemble, etc. until it held. I took it out today and it works if I cycle it hard, too gentle and it leaves the spent brass on top of the magazine. Darn good looking gun, quite accurate, marginal at functioning..

I also have a 6.5 Swede Finnlight that functions well probably 85-90% of the time. The other 10-15% of the time I get the flip back on top of the mag or have to do the tip and shake to get the spent brass out. I’ve managed to get 1/2” at 100yds. with 127gr barnes handloads. It works great on deer, I have never felt the fit and finish justify the price tag. It is an okay gun. I will keep it around and let my son use it.

I am glad others haven’t had the problems I have had with them. I spoke with the gunstore owner that sold mine to me while buying powder a few months ago and and he had problems with several. Maybe the newer ones are problem free? I hope so.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I assumed the 85 was as good as the previous models that had very fine reputations.

The XS action varmint was the worst. My local gunsmiths didn’t want to work on it, so I got springs from Greg Tannel and it was better. I ordered an additional factory extractor, plunger and spring and waited about 6mos for it. I ended up filing the extractor and reassemble, file more, reassemble, etc. until it held. I took it out today and it works if I cycle it hard, too gentle and it leaves the spent brass on top of the magazine. Darn good looking gun, quite accurate, marginal at functioning..

I also have a 6.5 Swede Finnlight that functions well probably 85-90% of the time. The other 10-15% of the time I get the flip back on top of the mag or have to do the tip and shake to get the spent brass out. I’ve managed to get 1/2” at 100yds. with 127gr barnes handloads. It works great on deer, I have never felt the fit and finish justify the price tag. It is an okay gun. I will keep it around and let my son use it.

I am glad others haven’t had the problems I have had with them. I spoke with the gunstore owner that sold mine to me while buying powder a few months ago and and he had problems with several. Maybe the newer ones are problem free? I hope so.
I'm curious. Are you using a hunting scope, with a capped windage turret, or more of a tactical style with the large knob, and are you using low or high scope mounts? I don't doubt at all that you're having issues. I'm a member over on Sako Collectors and the issue is well documented there. I ask because I was debating between a Finnlight or Finnlight II myself in 6.5, just like the OP, but started thinking maybe I should be looking at a Tikka instead. I have a Sako AV and love that rifle, hence my wanting to get a Finnlight/Finnlight II. I actually got off the phone with Beretta CS morning and they told me they are aware of the issue and advise against low mounts/rings, and against using "tactical" style scopes. I started leaning Tikka because they use Sako barrels anyway, but the Tikka action doesn't seem to exhibit this ejection issue.

I'm curious. Are you using a hunting scope, with a capped windage turret, or more of a tactical style with the large knob, and are you using low or high scope mounts? I don't doubt at all that you're having issues. I'm a member over on Sako Collectors and the issue is well documented there. I ask because I was debating between a Finnlight or Finnlight II myself in 6.5, just like the OP, but started thinking maybe I should be looking at a Tikka instead. I have a Sako AV and love that rifle, hence my wanting to get a Finnlight/Finnlight II. I actually got off the phone with Beretta CS morning and they told me they are aware of the issue and advise against low mounts/rings, and against using "tactical" style scopes. I started leaning Tikka because they use Sako barrels anyway, but the Tikka action doesn't seem to exhibit this ejection issue.
Hi,

I have mostly had a Nightforce 2.5x10 on the 6.5 Swede. If I was to do it again, I would have gone with a Tikka. Lately I have been thinking about a Tikka, 6.5 (probably Swede) and if it doesn’t shoot tiny groups when I get it, put a benchmark (or other excellent aftermarket) barrel on it. Maybe consider a Bix n Andy trigger as well, just for fun. It would be a very accurate superb hunting rifle.

Not to get too far off topic, but my buddies and I spend a fair amount of time bore scoping, shooting through and discussing barrels (We shoot thousands of vermin annually). Anyway, what we have found is that most,(NOT ALL) factory barrels are not that great or particularly accurate. I would guess that it is because factories make economic choices or compromises as needed, to make a profit for them as well as the retailer. Also, how accurate does a rifle really need to be to shoot a deer or elk? I only like very accurate guns.

I am glad Beretta is acknowledging the 85 has issues. They refused to for a long time. If people are willing to spend that kind of $ on a rifle and knowingly may have to screw with their ring setup to get it to (hopefully) work properly, at least they had the opportunity to know this beforehand. I also hope they have, or are willing to learn, gun smithing skills and also have room in the back of their gun safes in case they get lemons like mine.

I’d get the Tikka..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back