Sako 85 barrel swap?

coleslaw

Anybody ever swap a Sako barrel? I have a Sako 85 in 7mm-08 that needs a new barrel and I'd like to try doing it myself as a project. From what I understand, the Tikka pre-fit barrels from Proof Research are interchangeable with the Sako 85.

The process seems pretty straightforward, but I cannot seem to find a Sako specific action wrench unless it's for the TRG series. Anybody know of a wrench that will work for removal? Possibly a Tikka wrench or maybe the Wheeler universal wrench?
Will the Tikka rear entry wrench work for torqueing the new barrel on?
Let me hear some ideas before I muck this up lol

I have the experience you're looking for.

Tikka prefits will work for Sako 85s, yes. So will tikka barrels you can find on ebay for cheap. Regardless of what you want, it's pretty simple. Get yourself a Wheeler universal wrench or any with two flats and crank that puppy off. A Tikka rear entry wrench will not work; different bolt raceways (Sako has 3 lugs compared to 2 on the Tikka). When torqueing the new barrel down, just do it tight enough. It doesn't really have to be precise as long as you tighten it enough.

Hope this helps

I have the experience you're looking for.

Tikka prefits will work for Sako 85s, yes. So will tikka barrels you can find on ebay for cheap. Regardless of what you want, it's pretty simple. Get yourself a Wheeler universal wrench or any with two flats and crank that puppy off. A Tikka rear entry wrench will not work; different bolt raceways (Sako has 3 lugs compared to 2 on the Tikka). When torqueing the new barrel down, just do it tight enough. It doesn't really have to be precise as long as you tighten it enough.

Hope this helps
That's exactly the advice I needed. Thank you. I do have a torque wrench and have installed a few AR barrels, so I at least know a little in that regard. Over the years I have been doing more and more of my own gunsmithing and this is the next step.
I'm really wanting to try the Proof Research route... most likely a carbon fiber. I already have two other carbon barreled rifles and they are a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with. Good to know about the Tikka barrels though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back