Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Looking for action wrench local to Twin Cities

VikingsGuy

I haven't been able to buy a Brownells or Wheeler universal action wrench (for flat bottom actions) for months - sold out everywhere. I only have one Tikka barrel to pop off - anybody in the Twin Cities willing to lend one to a guy for a day sometime in late Feb? I will buy ya lunch.

Not local to twin cities, but if you need a wrench and can't find anything, a strong 12" crescent wrench works wonders and won't damage a Tikka. I use one because the universal action wrench I ordered for it turned out to be a mislabeled Rem 700 one. Haven't had any issues thus far and I switch barrels on mine every so often

Not local to twin cities, but if you need a wrench and can't find anything, a strong 12" crescent wrench works wonders and won't damage a Tikka. I use one because the universal action wrench I ordered for it turned out to be a mislabeled Rem 700 one. Haven't had any issues thus far and I switch barrels on mine every so often
I have one of those - but am reluctant not to have the proper tool for the job - but desperation may get the better of me.

I have one of those - but am reluctant not to have the proper tool for the job - but desperation may get the better of me.
If you do end up using it, make sure the jaws are very secure on the flats at the front of the receiver (right it front of the action screw slot)

Is it a factory barrel still?

If you do end up using it, make sure the jaws are very secure on the flats at the front of the receiver (right it front of the action screw slot)

Is it a factory barrel still?
Ya - from everything I have read with Tikka factory you really have to bear down to break it free so want the right tool.

I'm in the same position. I've read about plenty of people using a 700 action wrench with the cap flipped to align on the tikka flats. May have to go that route if I can't find the right one by the time my barrel shows up.

I've also read about cutting a relief in the barrel and they come off easily. I do have a lathe, so may give that a shot.

I haven't been able to buy a Brownells or Wheeler universal action wrench (for flat bottom actions) for months - sold out everywhere. I only have one Tikka barrel to pop off - anybody in the Twin Cities willing to lend one to a guy for a day sometime in late Feb? I will buy ya lunch.
I have a homemade action wrench
Not sure what you need but since you said flat bottom, perhaps it would do. Iade it for flat sided actions like Winchester 1885s.

Ya - from everything I have read with Tikka factory you really have to bear down to break it free so want the right tool.
For some reason people are anti "shock." A couple whacks with a hardwood or rawhide mallet on the wrench handle pops them loose pretty easily.

Amazon has Wheeler #2 available, there's quite a few styles available on eBay too.

You could make a wrench out of square stock but the way steel prices are now you'll take a dry pounding for it.

Last edited:
Back